A street car system had once existed on Tenerife. It was inaugurated on April 7, 1901, with a service that began in Santa Cruz and finished in La Laguna. It was designed by the Spanish engineer and military man Julio Cervera Baviera. In 1904 the line was extended to Tacoronte. In 1927 the Cabildo of Tenerife took control of the operating company due to economic problems. The tram car lines remained functional until 1951, when, due to a series of problems and accidents, and increased competition with the car and bus (on Tenerife, buses are called guaguas), the service was discontinued.