Porth railway station
|Welsh: Y Porth|
|Local authority||Rhondda Cynon Taf|
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1876|
|Original company||Taff Vale Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Taff Vale Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|4 February 1861||First station opened|
|1 July 1876||Station resited|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Porth from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
On 1 July 1876, the original station was closed, being replaced by a new one approximately 240 yards (220 m) to the east. The Rhondda Fawr line to Treherbert was singled north of here in 1981 and most of the 1876 station buildings were replaced in 1984–85.
The now defunct Maerdy Branch along the Rhondda Fach valley to Maerdy and the collieries at Mardy and Ferndale used to diverge from the 'main line' to Treherbert just north of the station at Maerdy Junction. Opened in stages between 1849 and 1856, the passenger service over this route ended in 1964, but mineral traffic to Mardy Colliery continued to run until final closure of the branch in August 1986, when coal from Mardy was then raised from Tower Colliery. The track was subsequently lifted in 1996, but the old formation can still be traced (along with the former up loop platform used by branch trains).
A passenger service between Porth and Barry was introduced by the Barry Railway on 16 March 1896, running via Pontypridd Graig and Treforest High Level., but this ended in 1930 when the service was re-routed via the TVR station at Pontypridd (trains henceforth terminating there, except for summer excursions, until the service down to Barry finally ended in September 1962).
An unusual ground level signal box was installed at the station when the Treherbert line was reduced to single track in 1981, replacing a much more substantial TVR structure. This holds the distinction of the being the last new mechanical box to be built by British Rail, though it had a working life of only 17 years before being abolished in 1998 when the Radyr signalling centre took control of the area.
Monday-Saturday, there is a half-hourly service to Cardiff Central via Pontypridd and Cardiff Queen Street southbound and to Treherbert northbound, serving all stations en route except Trefforest Estate. This drops to hourly in the late evening. There is a two-hourly service in each direction on Sundays, with through trains to Barry Island. On 20 July 2018, previous franchise operator Arriva Trains Wales announced a trial period of extra Sunday services on the Rhondda Line to Cardiff and Barry Island. This was in response to a survey by Leanne Wood and the success of extra Sunday services on the Merthyr Line and the Rhymney Line.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 189. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- James, Leslie (November 1983). A Chronology of the Construction of Britain's Railways 1778-1855. Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 35. ISBN 0-7110-1277-6. BE/1183.
- Hutton, John (2006). The Taff Vale Railway, vol. 2. Silver Link. ISBN 978-1-85794-250-7.
- Barrie, D.S.M. (1983) . The Barry Railway. Oakwood Library of Railway History. Salisbury: Oakwood Press. p. 171. ISBN 0-85361-236-6. OL57.
- Rhondda Fach Junction South www.signalbox.org; Retrieved 2013-09-16
- The Rock - Signals in South Wales www.roscalen.com; Retrieved 2013-09-16
- GB eNRT December 2015 Edition, Table 130 (Network Rail)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Trehafod||Transport for Wales
Line and station open
Line and station open
|Taff Vale Railway
Line and station closed