Prairieton Township, Vigo County, Indiana
Location in Vigo County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||18.51 sq mi (47.9 km2)|
|• Land||17.83 sq mi (46.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.68 sq mi (1.8 km2) 3.67%|
|Elevation||459 ft (140 m)|
|• Density||68.6/sq mi (26.5/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453775|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 18.51 square miles (47.9 km2), of which 17.83 square miles (46.2 km2) (or 96.33%) is land and 0.68 square miles (1.8 km2) (or 3.67%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Terre Haute (west edge)
- Sugar Creek Township (north)
- Honey Creek Township (east)
- Linton Township (southeast)
- Prairie Creek Township (southwest)
- Darwin Township, Clark County, Illinois (west)
- Wabash Township, Clark County, Illinois (northwest)
The township contains New Harmony Cemetery.
Airports and landing strips
- Higginbotham Field
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Terre Haute Penitentiary (west edge)
- Indiana's 8th congressional district
- State House District 45
- State Senate District 39
- Praireton/Prairie Creek Fire Protection District
- The Fire Departments from Prairieton Township and Prairie Creek Township merged to form a Fire Protection District on August 16, 2007.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.