Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine
|Edited by||Kamran Abbasi|
|Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, Medico-Chirurgical Transactions|
Sage Publications (United Kingdom)
|J. Royal Soc. Med.|
The Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine is an open peer-reviewed medical journal. It is the flagship journal of the Royal Society of Medicine with full editorial independence. Its continuous publication history dates back to 1809. Since July 2005 the editor-in-chief is Kamran Abbasi, who succeeded Robin Fox who was editor for almost 10 years.
The journal was established in 1806 as the Medico-Chirurgical Transactions published by the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society of London. It was renamed to Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine in 1907, following the merger that led to the formation of the Royal Society of Medicine and with volume numbering restarting at 1, before obtaining its current name in 1978.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed, Science Citation Index, EMBASE, CAB International, and BIOBASE. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2014 impact factor of 2.118.
The journal describes itself as having "an international and multi-specialty readership that includes primary care and public health professionals". It claims to act as "a forum for debate, education, and entertainment for clinicians interested in UK medicine and relevant international developments and research. The aim of the journal is to influence clinical practice and policy making across the whole range of medicine". Each issue contains original research articles, editorials, reviews, and essays. The essay section brings together "think pieces" on current medical issues and medical history. The journal also includes book reviews. Each issue also features a selection of commentaries from the James Lind Library, an online resource for patients and professionals that documents the evolution of fair tests of treatments in health care.
In 2006, the journal introduced open peer review, a system in which authors and reviewers know each other's identities on the assumption that this improves openness in scientific discourse. This made it one of the few medical journals in the world with open peer review.
In March 2006 all research articles published, as well as all other content more than three years old, were made available for free online. An agreement with PubMed Central was also announced, in which a digitised archive of the journal and its predecessor would be created, with issues dating back to 1809 available online for free.
- Dacie, John (January 1978), "Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine", J R Soc Med, 71 (1): 4, doi:10.1177/014107687807100103, PMC 1436428, PMID 20894216
- JRSM Manuscript Submission Guidelines, retrieved 8 November 2013
- Fox, Robin (August 2005), "Farewell from Fox", Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 98 (8): 340, doi:10.1258/jrsm.98.8.340, ISSN 0141-0768, PMC 1181830, retrieved 8 November 2013
- "Special General Meeting of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society of London", Medico-Chirurgical Transactions, 90: cxxi–cxxiv, 14 June 1907, PMC 2038538
- MacAlister, J.Y.W (1907), "Union of Medical Societies", Medico-Chirurgical Transactions; Report of the Committee of Representatives, 90: cxxxvi–cxlvii, PMC 2038529, PMID 20897096
- "The Royal Society of Medicine: The First General Meeting of the Fellows Under the New Charter", Medico-Chirurgical Transactions, 90: cxlviii–clxii, 13 June 1907, PMC 2038540
- "Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- Chalmers, Iain (December 2003), "The James Lind Initiative", Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 96 (12): 575–576, doi:10.1258/jrsm.96.12.575, ISSN 0141-0768, PMC 539653, PMID 14645604, retrieved 8 November 2013
- Abbasi, K (August 2006), "JRSM introduces open peer review", Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 99 (8): 379, doi:10.1258/jrsm.99.8.379, ISSN 0141-0768, PMC 1533515, retrieved 8 November 2013
- About JRSM, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, retrieved 8 November 2013
- Abbasi, K (March 2006), "Open access for the JRSM", Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 99 (3): 101, doi:10.1258/jrsm.99.3.101, ISSN 0141-0768, PMC 1383746, PMID 16508039, retrieved 8 November 2013