Pwllheli railway station
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|10 October 1867||Opened|
|19 July 1909||Moved to current site|
|1977||Signal boxes and 1 of 2 platforms closed|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Pwllheli from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
In 1861 the Aberystwith and Welsh Coast Railway was given authorisation to build a line along Cardigan Bay between Aberystwyth and Porthdinllaen on the Llŷn Peninsula. However, the final five miles across the Llŷn Peninsula were never built. By 1865 the company had merged to become part of Cambrian Railways. When the first Pwllheli station opened on Thursday 10 October 1867 the decision to not complete the final five miles to Nefyn had already been taken. The station, which was about a half a mile from the town, became the line's terminus.
On 19 July 1909 a second station was opened near the town centre following land reclamation that permitted the extension of the line. It had two tracks separated by an island platform with a small loading dock to the north. The layout remained unchanged until rationalisation began in September 1977.
A goods yard was developed on the site of the first station. Its turntable is now in the possession of the West Somerset Railway. The Great Western Railway (GWR) doubled the track between Pwllheli station and the goods yard in order to increase capacity. But after the goods yard was closed and both the signal boxes and the signals were removed in 1977, the double-lined section is now used as a long run-round loop for visiting charter trains. By 1987 a supermarket had been developed on the former goods yard land.
- The Cambrian Coast Express ran via Machynlleth, Shrewsbury and Birmingham to London Paddington.
- The Welshman ran via Caernarfon and Crewe to Euston.
In 1977 one side of the island platform was abandoned and the track was lifted (the land is now a car park). The station canopy, which was constructed by the GWR, survived intact until the early 1980s. Today only the concourse remains covered. Pwllheli has one platform, a siding and a loop. One of the old signal boxes also remains and is used as a covered ground frame to operate the loop points.
The station is now unstaffed and has no ticket machine, so all tickets must be purchased on the train or prior to travel. The main building still stands - part of it is used as a cafe and coffee shop whilst the remainder provides covered waiting accommodation. Train running information is offered by means of digital display screens, automated announcements, timetable poster boards and a customer help point. Step-free access is provided from the main entrance to the platform.
Services are operated by Transport for Wales and depart from Pwllheli for Machynlleth, Shrewsbury or Birmingham International. Occasional charter services also terminate at the station. Trains run roughly every two hours on weekdays (Mon-Sat), with three departures on summer Sundays and just a single service in winter.
In November 2013, services from the station were suspended due to structural problems with the 1867 Grade II-listed wooden viaduct at Pont Briwet near Llandecwyn. Network Rail had intended to build the new bridge alongside the current one whilst keeping the latter open, but work to drive steel piles into the riverbed to support the new viaduct caused the old one to shift and made it unsafe. As a result, the train service north of Harlech had to be temporarily withdrawn whilst construction work continued and did not resume until the new bridge was ready. Meanwhile, a replacement bus service ran over the 22 mile (35 km) section to Harlech. The line eventually reopened on 1 September 2014 when construction work on the rail portion of the new bridge was completed.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Terminus||Transport for Wales
Pwllheli - Machynlleth/Birmingham International
|Terminus||Aberystwith and Welsh Coast Railway
Line and station open
- "Opening of the Railway between Barmouth and Pwllheli". The Aberywswith Observer. Wales. 12 October 1867. Retrieved 24 October 2016 – via Welsh Newspapers Online.
- Transport Ticket Society Journal May 2017 page 182
- "Pwllheli railway station, 1911". Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Shannon & Hillmer 1999, pp. 24-26.
- Pwllheli station facilities National Rail Enquiries
- Table 76 National Rail timetable, May 2017
- "Bridge fiasco could close Porthmadog line until 2015" Archived 18 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine Milner, Chris, Railway Magazine; Retrieved 2014-01-17
- "New Pont Briwet rail bridge over Dwyryd estuary opens" BBC News article; Retrieved 2014-09-08
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Shannon, Paul; Hillmer, John (1999). North Wales (British Railways Past & Present) Part 2. Kettering: Past & Present Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-85895-163-1. No 36.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pwllheli railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Pwllheli railway station from National Rail
- By DMU from Pwllheli to Amlwch, via Huntley Archives