|Senator for Victoria|
|Assumed office |
6 March 2019
|Preceded by||Jacinta Collins|
1 November 1983
East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Alma mater||Deakin University|
University of Melbourne
Raffaele "Raff" Ciccone (born 1 November 1983) is an Australian politician who is a Senator for Victoria, representing the Labor Party. He was appointed to the Senate on 6 March 2019 following the resignation of Jacinta Collins.
Ciccone is the son of Italian immigrant parents who arrived in Australia in the 1960s. He holds degrees in arts and commerce from Deakin University and the University of Melbourne. Ciccone became a senior official in the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA). He was elected to the board of Link Health and Community in 2009, and from December 2017 served as the organisation's chair.
Ciccone joined the Australian Labor Party in 2000. Before entering the Senate, Ciccone worked as a staffer to Senator Jacinta Collins and was a vice-president of the Australian Labor Party (Victorian Branch). He was an unsuccessful candidate for Labor's Senate ticket in Victoria prior to the 2013 federal election. He also stood for election to the Monash City Council in 2008 and 2016, but was defeated with less than ten percent of the vote on each occasion.
Ciccone is married to Dimity Paul, who was chief of staff to Victorian government minister Adem Somyurek and stood as a Labor candidate at the 2014 state election. As of 2016[update] the couple lived in Hawthorn.
- "Senator Raff Ciccone". Senators and Members. Parliament of Australia. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- Raff Ciccone [@SenRaffCiccone] (6 March 2019). "Statement: Appointment as 100th Senator for Victoria" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Raff Ciccone picks up Jacinta Collins' Senate spot in Victoria". The Australian. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Vic Labor at war over Senate, Hotham". Crikey. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Results for Monash City Council Elections 2008: Oakleigh Ward". Victorian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Monash City Council election results 2016: Mount Waverley Ward". Victorian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Scott Ryan [@SenatorRyan] (6 March 2019). "A joint sitting of the @VicParliament has, pursuant to section 15 of the Constitution, nominated Rafael Ciccone to fill the casual vacancy in the Senate for the state of Victoria. 1/2" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
Scott Ryan [@SenatorRyan] (6 March 2019). "The appointment takes effect immediately. Senator Ciccone will take the oath or affirmation of office when the senate next meets on 2 April. 2/2" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Hansard: Legislative Assembly of Victoria" (PDF). Parliament of Victoria. 6 March 2019.
Refer to pp. 131
- "Minister stood down over allegations of misconduct made by chief of staff". The Age. 23 May 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Hawthorn the new place to be". Domain.com.au. 27 May 2016. Retrieved 6 March 2019.