Railway Museum, Mysore
The Railway Museum was established in 1979 by Indian Railways, the second such museum after the National Railway Museum in Delhi. The museum is opposite the Central Food Technology and Research Institute on Krishnaraja Sagar Road. It has locomotives and a gallery of photographs and paintings depicting the growth of railways in India. Railway signals and lights are also displayed. The museum has a battery-operated mini-train giving a short ride for children on the grounds.
- ES 506 4-6-2 is the first locomotive at the entrance.
- An Austin rail-motor car
- Several inspection cars, one inspection car is used as a ticket office.
- Two royal coaches that belonged to the Maharaja of Mysore.
- The Maharani Saloon carriage that has a kitchen, dining car unit and royal toilet dating back to 1899.
- A W.G. Bagnall #1625 which was made in 1900 for Khushalgarh - Kohat - Thal Railway which was a military frontier line, was subsequently transferred to North Western Railways. It operated at Timber Depot in Marala and was transferred later to Dhilwan Creosoting plant. This 2'-6" gauge locomotive is configured as 2-4-2ST.
- Class E #37244 4-4-4T from SIR built by North British Locomotive Co. in 1920. Originally # 8, it was one of the three superheated locomotives.
- Class TS/1 #37338 2-6-2T from SR, made by W.G. Bagnall in 1932 for Mysore State Railways.
- A YP #2511 made by Telco in 1963.
Austin Railway Car
The picture at left is a 1925 model Austin, originally an automobile made for running on road. It was later sold to a scrap dealer. A railway employee brought this car from the scrap dealer and restored it. However, he made few major changes to the car. He fitted rail wheels to the car and removed the steering. Thus it began its journey as railcar. It was used for carrying inspection officials on track. It could carry six people.
YP2511 was built by Telco in 1963. It is a meter gauge steam engine. The plate containing YP 2511 boiler's details mentions that the boiler was built in 1957. The boiler was numbered 2352.
This narrow gauge steam engine was built by WG Wagnall and Co., Ltd in 1900. This engine was numbered NWR NG tank loco no: 119 E. It was used between Bangalore and Tumkur. This steam engine used wood instead of coal.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Railway Museum Mysore.|
- Chugging through Time 
- Mysore Railway Museum mysore.org.uk
- Mysore Railway Museum trainweb.org
- Source for Technical and Historical information: Indian Locomotives by Hugh Hughes