|Cincinnati Reds – No. 26|
|Born: January 4, 1990|
Isla de la Juventud, Cuba
|April 12, 2015, for the Cincinnati Reds|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 15, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.11|
In September 2013, Iglesias attempted to defect from Cuba. He hid in the mountains of Isla de la Juventud, but was caught and was detained. In November of that same year, Iglesias successfully defected from Cuba. He established his residency in Haiti, held an open tryout in Mexico in December 2013, and signed with the Cincinnati Reds on June 27, 2014, to a seven-year contract worth $27 million. The Reds formally added him to their 40-man roster when he arrived in the United States on August 12.
In spring training in 2015, the Reds evaluated Iglesias as a starting pitcher. He started the season in the Reds' Opening Day starting rotation, and made his major league debut on April 12. He had a couple of stints on the disabled list, limiting him to just 18 games, 16 of them starts. His record was 3–7 with 104 strikeouts. The following season, after beginning the season in the rotation, Iglesias was moved to the bullpen. Iglesias served as setup man and closer for the Reds, finishing with six saves in 37 games. He started the 2019 season as the Reds closer.
- Badler, Ben (November 19, 2013). "Righthander Raisel Iglesias Leaves Cuba". Baseball America. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Acosta, Nelson (September 27, 2013). "Young Cuban baseball pitcher believed to have left the island". Reuters. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "Raicel Iglesias, detenido en la Isla de la Juventud por intentar abandonar el país" (in Spanish). Diario de Cuba. September 28, 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Cuba allows athletes to go pro abroad". Cuba Standard. September 27, 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Sheldon, Mark; Sanchez, Jesse (June 27, 2014). "Reds sign Cuban pitcher Iglesias to seven-year deal". MLB.com. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "Cincinnati Reds pitcher Raisel Iglesias, a Cuban defector, signed after scout Mark Snipp misses wedding anniversary, rewards Snipp, Walt Jocketty and entire organization in spring training with maturity, knowledge, skills; team will make him starter to open season". FOX Sports. Retrieved April 12, 2015.
- "Reds sign Cuban RHP Iglesias to contract". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 27, 2014. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- Sheldon, Mark (August 12, 2014). "Iglesias excited to be on fast track to Reds". MLB.com. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "Cingrani to bullpen; Iglesias in the rotation". Cincinnati.com. March 16, 2015. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Raisel Iglesias to make Reds debut Sunday". Cincinnati.com. April 11, 2015. Retrieved April 12, 2015.