The term regulatory sign describes a range of signs that are used to indicate or reinforce traffic laws, regulations or requirements which apply either at all times or at specified times or places upon a street or highway, the disregard of which may constitute a violation, or signs in general that regulate public behavior in places open to the public.
Regulatory traffic signs follow international conventions, usually being:
- White circle or rectangle with red border and black pictogram and/or words
- Blue circle or rectangle with white border and white pictogram
- Red rectangle with white border and white writing
- Red octagon with white border and white writing (exclusively STOP sign)
- Federal Highway Administration. "Section 1A.13 Definitions of Words and Phrases in This Manual". Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (html or pdf) (2003 ed.). Washington, DC. p. 1A-12. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
Regulatory Sign—a sign that gives notice to road users of traffic laws or regulations.