Richard "Rich" Lesser
Rich Lesser at the 2012 World Economic Forum in Davos
|Alma mater||Harvard Business School (MBA) |
University of Michigan (BS)
|Occupation||Management Consultant, Strategist|
|Employer||Boston Consulting Group|
Richard "Rich" Lesser (born 1962) is an American businessman currently serving as the CEO of American global management consultancy the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). He attended the University of Michigan, where he graduated with highest honors (summa cum laude) with a bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, and then Harvard Business School as a Baker Scholar.
Lesser started his career as a process development engineer and group leader at Procter & Gamble after graduating from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in 1983. Following this, he attended Harvard Business School, where he was named a Baker Scholar.
In 1988, Lesser joined BCG as a consultant, and his client work focused on strategy, operations, leaderships, and large-scale transformation in the health care and consumer sectors. He was elected to partner in less than 10 years and served as the head of the firm's New York Metro offices from 2000 to 2009. In this period, the New York office became the firm's largest in the country, based on revenue and headcount. He was elected to the firm's Executive Committee in 2006.
He has been active in efforts to redirect corporate and business unit strategy, streamline organizations, improve productivity, and ensure successful post-merger integration. He played a pivotal role in helping BCG become the only global management consulting firm to grow strongly through the 2008 recession.
In 2009, Lesser was named BCG's Chairman for North and South America. In the same year, Consulting Magazine named him one of the industry's Top 25 most influential consultants for excellence in Healthcare. He has spoken at the World Economic Forum and The New York Forum, and wrote articles in the Harvard Business Review and BCG Perspectives.
Since Lesser started in January 2013, the firm has opened nine new offices, including one in Bogotá, Colombia, expanding the company's presence to 50 countries. Lesser oversaw the launch of BCG Digital Ventures, a global digital business-building firm; BCG Gamma, a cutting-edge advanced analytics and machine-learning team; and BCG TURN, a turnaround, restructuring, and transformation unit.
Rich Lesser is a member of several leading organizations, such as the World Economic Forum’s International Business Council and the US Business Roundtable. He has also maintained BCG’s strong investments in social impact through its partnerships with, among others, the World Food Programme, Save the Children, Teach for All, and the World Wildlife Fund.
In December 2016, Lesser joined a business forum assembled by then president-elect Donald Trump to provide strategic and policy advice on economic issues. In October 2018, Lesser began his third three-year term as CEO of Boston Consulting Group.
Boston Consulting Group
| Chairman, North and South America
Boston Consulting Group
- "Notable Alumni". Alumni Association of the University of Michigan. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Executive Profile: Richard I. Lesser". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "BCG Press Release". Thomson Reuters. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Top 25 Consultants, 2009: Rich Lesser". Consulting Magazine. 2009-06-01. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Executive Committee: Rich Lesser". The Boston Consulting Group. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "The Boston Consulting Group Names Rich Lesser New President and CEO". The Boston Consulting Group. 2012-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "BCG Continues Its Steady Growth and Announces Three New Offices". Yahoo! Finance. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "The Boston Consulting Group Launches BCG Digital Ventures, a Digital Innovation, Product Development, and Commercialization Firm". Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- BCG. "BCG Gamma to Launch in Canada". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- Dave, Sachin (2017-03-10). "BCG grows by 14% in 2016 touches $5.6 billion in revenues". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Authors". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Rich Lesser | Business Roundtable". www.businessroundtable.org. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "UN World Food Programme". Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Our partnership with the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) | Save the Children International". Save the Children International. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Teach For All – BCG's Global Social Impact Partner". Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "The Boston Consulting Group". Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- Bryan, Bob (2 Dec 2016). "Trump is forming an economic advisory team with the CEOs of Disney, General Motors, JPMorgan, and more". Business Insider. Retrieved 1 June 2017.