|Associate Justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court|
|Assumed office |
April 5, 2018
|Appointed by||Mary Fallin|
|Preceded by||Joseph M. Watt|
|Education||Southwestern Oklahoma State University (B.S.)|
University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D.)
Richard Darby is an American lawyer and an Associate Justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court. On April 5, 2018, Governor Mary Fallin appointed Darby to the Oklahoma Supreme Court to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Joseph M. Watt.
In his new position, Darby represents the 9th Judicial District, which includes Harmon, Greer, Jackson, Kiowa, Tillman, Cotton, Comanche, Caddo and Canadian counties. Prior to this new appointment, Darby had served as District Judge for the 3rd Judicial District covering Jackson, Kiowa, Tillman, Greer and Harmon counties. That assignment began in 1994. Before that, he had been a special judge and an associate district judge for Jackson County.
Prior to his appointment to the Supreme Court, Richard Darby was a state district court judge in the 3rd Judicial District for 24 years (from 1994–2018).[a] Darby presided over both civil and criminal cases, as well as assigning cases to six other judges in the district, who reported to him. He also managed a staff consisting of a secretary, a bailiff and 5 court reporters. In 2014, he ran unopposed for retention, so he was returned to the district court without appearing on the ballot. Before that, he served as a special judge and an associate district judge in Jackson County, Oklahoma.
Darby has been married for 36 years to Dana Darby, Ph.D, who is superintendent of Altus Christian Academy. They have two sons: Ben, a communications officer for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, and Jon, a student at Universal Technical Institute in Irving, Texas.
- The 3rd Judicial District covered Jackson, Kiowa, Tillman, Greer and Harmon counties.
- Schwab, Kyle (2018-04-05). "New justice named to the Oklahoma Supreme Court". NewsOK.com. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- @GovMaryFallin (April 5, 2018). "Pleased to name District Judge Richard Darby, of Altus, to serve as a justice on the Oklahoma Supreme Court. PRESS RELEASE (WITH PHOTO): Gov. Fallin Names District Judge Richard Darby to Serve as Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Judge Darby Appointed To Supreme Court." Lawton Constitution. April 6, 2018. Accessed June 24, 2018.
- Schwab, Kyle. "New justice named to the Oklahoma Supreme Court." NewsOK. April 5, 2018. Accessed June 24, 2018.
- "Judge Darby appointed to Supreme Court". The Lawton Constitution. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "Darby, Richard." Ballotpedia. Undated. Accessed September 6, 2018.
- "Oklahoma governor names Judge Richard Darby to Supreme Court". The Seattle Times. 2018-04-05. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
Joseph M. Watt
| Associate Justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court