Roger B. Taney (sculpture)
|Roger B. Taney|
Statue of Roger B. Taney prior to its removal
|Artist||William Henry Rinehart|
|Year||1871; Recast 1887; removed 2017|
|Dimensions||220 cm × 120 cm × 160 cm (86 in × 47 in × 62 in)|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.|
|Owner||City of Baltimore|
Roger B. Taney is a 19th century bronze statue of Chief Justice of the United States Roger B. Taney (1777–1864), by William Henry Rinehart. It was located in Baltimore, Maryland at the North Garden in Mount Vernon Place prior to being removed by the city of Baltimore in 2017.
The sculpture was a gift to the City of Baltimore from the businessman and art collector William T. Walters, whose home faced Mount Vernon Place. It is a recast of the Roger B. Taney Monument at Annapolis, Maryland. The sculpture was unveiled to the public in 1887.
The inscription read:
(On rear proper left side of sculpture:)
inv et(?) mod. W. H. Rinehart Rom
(On rear proper right side of sculpture:)
FERD. VON MILLER
(On scroll in figure's right hand:)
(On plaque on front of granite base:)
ROGER B. TANEY OF MARYLAND
signed Founder's mark appears
- Carl T. Hyden; Theodore F. Sheckels (14 January 2016). Public Places: Sites of Political Communication. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 91–. ISBN 978-1-4985-0726-4.
- Cindy Kelly (3 May 2011). Outdoor Sculpture in Baltimore: A Historical Guide to Public Art in the Monumental City. JHU Press. pp. 4–. ISBN 978-0-8018-9722-1.
- "Roger B. Taney, (sculpture)". Save Outdoor Sculpture, Maryland, Baltimore survey. 1993. Retrieved September 13, 2011.
- "Roger Taney Statue Removed From Maryland State House". NBC News. Associated Press. August 18, 2017.
- Rinehart, William Henry (23 August 1871). "Roger B. Taney". Siris-artinventories.si.edu Library Catalog. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Roger B. Taney Monument in Mount Vernon". Monumentcity.net. 15 May 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Statue of Roger B. Taney - Wikimapia". Wikimapia.org. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
|This public art article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|