Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Anchorage
Archdiocese of Anchorage
Holy Family Cathedral
Coat of arms
|Area||138,985 sq mi (359,970 km2)|
|(as of 2012)|
|Established||January 22, 1966 (53 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Holy Family Cathedral|
|Co-cathedral||Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Joseph the Worker|
St. Therese of Lisieux
|Apostolic Administrator||Andrew Eugene Bellisario|
|Bishops emeritus||Roger Lawrence Schwietz, OMI|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Anchorage (Latin: Archidioecesis Ancoragiensis) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the northwestern United States, comprising several boroughs and census areas in the state of Alaska. The Archdiocese is led by a prelate archbishop who serves as pastor of the mother church, the Cathedral of the Holy Family in the Municipality of Anchorage.
The See of Anchorage was canonically erected on January 22, 1966 by Pope Paul VI. The archdiocese's territories came from the Diocese of Juneau. Anchorage's large population and burgeoning community development warranted the creation of a new archdiocese in the city as opposed to elevating the already existing Diocese of Juneau to that rank.
The list of archbishops and their years of service:
- John Joseph Thomas Ryan (1966–1975), appointed the Coadjutor Archbishop and later Archbishop for the Military Services
- Francis Thomas Hurley (1976–2001)
- Roger Lawrence Schwietz, O.M.I. (2001–2016) 
- Paul Dennis Etienne (2016–2019), appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Seattle
Other priest of this diocese who became bishop
- Michael William Warfel, appointed Bishop of Juneau in 1996
The Archdiocese of Anchorage publishes a monthly newspaper, Catholic Anchor, which has approximately 11,000 subscribers. It was established in April 1999.
The ecclesiastical province of Anchorage comprises the state of Alaska and includes these suffragan dioceses.
- Ecclesiastical Province of Anchorage
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Our Lady of Guadalupe becomes Anchorage's co-cathedral". Catholic Anchor. Retrieved 2014-12-12.
- "Archdiocese of Anchorage". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Metropolitan Archdiocese of Anchorage". Giga Catholic. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Holy See Press Office. "Rinunce e nomine". press.vatican.va. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "The Catholic Anchor". Archdiocese of Anchorage. Retrieved 2015-01-05.