Ronin (Marvel Comics)
|First appearance||New Avengers #11 (November 2005)|
|Created by||Brian Michael Bendis, Joe Quesada|
Alexei Shostakov (LMD)
The persona of Ronin was created by Brian Michael Bendis and Joe Quesada. Bendis stated that the original intention was Matt Murdock as the true identity of Ronin but could not do so due to a conflict with plans in the Daredevil comic book title.
Fictional character biography
The original iteration of Ronin first appeared in New Avengers #11 (November 2005) (although the character appeared on the covers of several earlier issues). Maya Lopez was the first person to take on the Ronin identity.
Writer Jim McCann revealed "We're going to learn that there is far more to the Ronin identity than anyone knew, pre-dating [the first two versions] before [the third iteration]. Why does Ronin exist? That's a central mystery we will tackle." A Life Model Decoy of Alexei Shostakov is the third individual who dons the Ronin identity.
A character (whose identity is initially kept from the reader) is introduced in the Mighty Avengers and dons the Halloween-type Spider Hero costume during the Infinity storyline, and is supplied with the Ronin costume from a "big box of Clint Barton's old stuff" during the Inhumanity storyline. Before being revealed in canon, a leaked script revealed the fourth iteration's true identity to be Eric Brooks.
The Ultimate Marvel equivalent of Ronin is an alternate personality of Marc Spector. In order to infiltrate the services of the Kingpin, Ronin proves himself by retrieving Spider-Man. Ronin drives a school bus into Midtown High School and starts firing a gun to get Spider-Man to fight. Kitty Pryde confronts Ronin, but is knocked unconscious shortly before Spider-Man arrives. The two engage in a brutal battle that is mirrored in a fight between Moon Knight and Ronin in his mind (as the two different personalities within the same person); Ronin knocks Spider-Man unconscious in the end (as Moon Knight's personality is also apparently "killed"). Ronin uses Spider-Man's own web-shooters to leave the high school, and takes the youth to the Kingpin to interrogate at the Kingpin's hideout. But the Kingpin then attacks Ronin, revealing that the Kingpin already knew of Ronin's true identity. Ronin is then taken to a river by the Kingpin's two henchmen and shot in the head. However, he somehow survives this and goes to the police to provide evidence about the Kingpin's attempt to murder him, revealing his secret identity to do this but leads to the Kingpin's arrest and the media referring to him as a hero.
In other media
An exclusive version of Ronin appears in Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers: Nozomu Akatsuki (voiced by Hideyuki Hori in the Japanese version and by Keith Silverstein in the English dub). This iteration is an entirely original character (rather than an existing hero) under the Ronin mask. The father of Akira Akatsuki and Hikaru Akatsuki, he is the co-developer of the DISKS (Digital Identity Securement Kit) before acting as Ronin.
- The concept of Ronin is used in the 2013 film The Wolverine as a description for James "Logan" Howlett / Wolverine (portrayed by Hugh Jackman) by Ichiro Yashida.
- The Clint Barton incarnation of Ronin appears in the 2019 film Avengers: Endgame, portrayed by Jeremy Renner.
- The Maya Lopez version of Ronin appears as a exclusive playable character in the PSP version of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, voiced by Marabina Jaimes.
- The Clint Barton version of Ronin appears as an alternate design in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Marvel Heroes and Avengers Academy, and as a playable character in Marvel Future Fight and Marvel Contest of Champions.
- The Eric Brooks version of Ronin can be seen as a playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers.
- A Minimate of the character was released in the 12th series of Marvel Minimates, in a 2-pack with new battle damaged "Riot-Attack" variant of Spider-Man.
- Marvel Legends released a 2-pack with a Ronin figure and Elektra. This figure has an alternate unmasked Clint Barton (Hawkeye) head.
- Marvel Universe released a Ronin figure.
- Ronan the Accuser, another Marvel character
- Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #159, Comic Book Resources, June 12, 2008
- New Avengers #11 (November 2005)
- New Avengers #27 (April 2007)
- "McCann & Swierczynski Are "Widow Makers"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- "SDCC10: Killing Hawkeye & Widow - Comics News at IGN". Comics.ign.com. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Widowmaker #1 (February 2011)
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #1
- Mighty Avengers #4.INH (February 2014)
- Sunu, Steve (28 October 2013). "Marvel Inadvertently Leaks Mighty Avengers Mystery Member ID". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Mighty Avengers #9
- Ultimate Spider-Man #108 (June 2007)
- Ultimate Spider-Man #109
- Ultimate Spider-Man #110
- Barnhardt, Adam (April 6, 2019). "Marvel Studios Is Officially Calling Clint Barton Ronin in 'Avengers: Endgame'". Comic Book.com. Archived from the original on April 7, 2019. Retrieved April 7, 2019.
- "ML: Elektra & Ronin review". OAFE. Retrieved 2010-09-13.