Run (Matt Nathanson and Sugarland song)
Original single cover
|Single by Matt Nathanson featuring Sugarland|
|from the album Modern Love|
|Released||November 9, 2011|
|Length||4:09 (Album version) |
4:05 (Sugarland version)
|Matt Nathanson singles chronology|
|Sugarland singles chronology|
Sugarland version cover
"Run" is a song written by American singer-songwriter Matt Nathanson with Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush of country duo Sugarland, and recorded for Nathanson's seventh studio album, Modern Love (2011). The song is performed as a duet between Nathanson and Nettles, with Bush contributing backing vocals as well as the acoustic and electric guitar accompaniments. It made its debut at the 2010 CMA Awards on November 9, 2011. A remastered country version was released to digital retailers via Vanguard Records the same day as the third single from Modern Love.
Background and release
Accreditation of the song varies, with AllMusic crediting Bush and Nettles separately as featured artists, the iTunes Store crediting Sugarland collectively, and the digital single attributing the song to Sugarland as the primary artist and Nathanson as a featured artist.
Bobby Peacock of Roughstock gave a positive review of "Run", which he declared "at its core... boils down to a country lyric," commenting that "the seemingly different voices (not to mention musical backgrounds) unite perfectly, helped by a slick (but in a good way), powerful pop production." PopCrush reviewer Scott Shetler deemed "Run" inferior to Nettles' previous pop/rock collaboration (Bon Jovi's "Who Says You Can't Go Home"), but consented that "Run" was a "pleasant pop song with a decent hook and nice harmonies" and ultimately ranked the song 3.5/5 stars. Billy Dukes of Taste of Country described "Run" as a "stop-and-thinker that could easily be dismissed if listened to haphazardly" due to the hidden depths of the lyrics, and lauded the combination of Nathanson and Nettles' voices: "Not since Jon Bon Jovi has a male lead complimented Nettles’ beckoning drawl so naturally." Andrew Leahey of AllMusic was more critical of the song and Nettles' vocals in particular, leading him to label "Run" as "one of the album’s most misguided moves".
Three official music videos exist for "Run". The Sugarland version was directed by Valarie Allyn Bienas and premiered February 9, 2012. This video feature live footage from the CMA Awards performance. A solo Matt Nathanson video premiered March 27, 2012 and a collaborative video (titled "Run ft. Sugarland") premiered the following day on March 28, 2012; the latter video was directed by Brendan Walter.
|US Billboard Hot 100||53|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||17|
|US Heatseekers Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||60|
|US Rock Digital Songs (Billboard)||4|
|Canada||November 9, 2011||Digital download||Vanguard Records|||
|January 16, 2012||Hot adult contemporary||Vanguard Records, Capitol Records|||
- "Matt Nathanson and Sugarland "Run" on the Country Music Awards". Vanguard Records. Tumblr. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "Run (Sugarland Version) [feat. Matt Nathanson] - Single". iTunes Store (CA). Apple Inc. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds :: Hot AC". Radio & Records. Retrieved 23 June 2014.[permanent dead link]
- Leahey, Andrew. "Modern Love - Matt Nathanson". AllMusic.
- "Modern Love by Matt Nathanson". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Peacock, Bobby. "Single Review: Sugarland & Matt Nathanson - Run". Roughstock. Cheri Media. Archived from the original on 18 January 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Shetler, Scott. "Matt Nathanson, 'Run' Feat. Sugarland - Song Review". PopCrush. Townsquare Media. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Dukes, Billy. "Sugarland Feat. Matt Nathanson, 'Run' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "Music Video: Sugarland & Matt Nathanson - Run". Roughstock. Cheri Media. Archived from the original on 10 October 2012. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Run (Sugarland Version) - Sugarland". Vevo. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "CMT : Music Video : Run : Matt Nathanson". CMT. Viacom Media Networks. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "CMT : Music Video : Run ft. Sugarland : Matt Nathanson". CMT. Viacom Media Networks. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Matt Nathanson Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Matt Nathanson Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Matt Nathanson Album & Song Chart History". Billboard Heatseekers Songs for Matt Nathanson. Retrieved 8 February 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Sugarland Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Matt Nathanson Album & Song Chart History". Billboard Rock Digital Songs for Matt Nathanson. Retrieved 8 February 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Run (Sugarland Version) [feat. Matt Nathanson] - Single". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved 23 June 2014.