Russian Missile Troops and Artillery
The Missile Troops and Artillery (MT & A) are an Arm of the Russian Ground Forces, They are the primary means of providing fire on the enemy during combined-arms operations. They are designed to perform the following main tasks:
- achieving and keeping fire superiority over the enemy;
- defeat of its means of nuclear attack, manpower, weapons, military and special equipment;
- disruption of troops and weapons’ control systems, reconnaissance and electronic warfare;
- destruction of long-term defence installations and other infrastructure;
- disruption of operational and military logistics;
- weakening and isolation of the second echelons and reserves of the enemy;
- destruction of tanks and other armoured vehicles of the enemy breaking into the depth of defence;
- cover of open flanks and junctions;
- participation in destruction of aircraft and amphibious assault forces of the enemy;
- remote mining of areas and facilities;
- light support of night actions of troops;
- smoke-screening, blinding of enemy targets;
- distribution of propaganda materials, etc.
Organisationally the MT & A consist of missile, rocket, artillery brigades, including high-power mixed, artillery battalions, rocket artillery regiments, separate reconnaissance battalions, as well as artillery of combined-arms brigades and military bases.
Further development and increase of combat capabilities of the MT & A of the GF are put into life by means of creating reconnaissance-fire units, including on interim basis, ensuring defeat of targets in real time, equipment of formations and units of the MT & A with high-precision weapons, increasing of firing range and power of the ammunition used, and automation of processes for preparation and firing.
- "Missile Troops and Artillery". Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
Media related to Missile Troops and Artillery at Wikimedia Commons