SNDT Women's University
|Motto||' Sanskrita Stree Parashakti '|
(An enlightened woman is a source of Infinite strength)
|Chancellor||C. Vidyasagar Rao|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Shashikala Wanjari|
SNDT Women's University, also called by its full name Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's University, is a women's university in the city of Mumbai, India. The university headquarters are at Churchgate in South Mumbai, while the main campus is in Santacruz–Juhu area of Mumbai. SNDT has three campuses: two in Mumbai and one in Pune. The university has affiliated colleges in Maharashtra, Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Surat and Goa, as well.
The year 1896 marked the beginning of a new era in women's education in India when Dhondo Keshav Karve established an ashram for widows and helpless women at Hingne near Pune. He realized that to make these women self-sufficient, -reliant and -confident, schooling was essential. Karve launched a programme of schooling there, which became a regular school for girls and women. In a society governed by age-old customs and conservative attitudes towards women, the school was bound to face social and economic difficulties.
He had a dream of establishing a women's university. His friends sent him a booklet on the Japan Women's University in Tokyo. In December 1915 Karve, in his presidential address to the National Social Reform Congress in Bombay, announced his decision to shape his dream into reality. On 2 July 1916 the first college started with the enrollment of five students; it gradually took shape as a women's university. Karve did not wait for the government permission for funds.
In 1920 the university was named Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's University.
In 1936, the headquarters was shifted to Bombay. The university continued to grow, providing higher education to more and more women. In 1951, the university was granted statutory recognition and was renamed Shrimati Nathibai Thackersey Women's University now popularly known as SNDT Women's University. The recognition came along with rare privilege of having a jurisdiction across the country.
On 5 July 2016 the university marked completion of 100 years of its existence. It was the first women's university in India and South East Asia.
Today, the university has an enrolment of over 70,000 students. It has three campuses at Churchgate, Santacruz-Juhu, Pune. The university has 39 university departments, 15 faculties. There are 174 undergraduate colleges and 8 institutions recognized for PhD degree. The university continues to manage three secondary schools for girls, which it inherited. The university is actively involved in teaching, research and extension. SNDT is the first university in Maharashtra to obtain a five-star rating from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) of India in the year 2000 and was reaccredited with A grade in 2015.
The university has collaborated with state and central governments, industry, national and international organisations to develop and conduct academic programmes, undertake research and work with the community. The partners include the government of Maharashtra, ministries of the government of India, University Grants Commission, UNICEF, British Council, Association of Commonwealth Universities and Swedish International Development Agency.
SNDT Women's University has 39 departments, 13 institutions and 174 colleges as of 2016. Following are some of the departments and institutions of the university.
- Usha Mittal Institute of Technology, an engineering college affiliated to SNDT Women's University (formerly known as the Institute of Technology for Women)
- Janaki Devi Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JDBIMS) offers a postgraduate Master's in Management Studies.
- Department of Postgraduate Studies and Research in Home Science offers postgraduate education in five specialisations of Home Science. It consists of five postgraduate Departments of Home Science.
- University Department of Extension Education (http://extensionedu.sndt.ac.in/)
- Department of Food Science and Nutrition
- Department of Social Sciences
- Department of Textiles Sciences and Apparel Design and
- Department of Family Resource Management
- Under the Faculty of Commerce is the Department of Commerce which offers the Master's in Commerce (MCom) and Doctor of Philosophy (Phd) degrees. The department is headed by Dr. G. Y. Shitole, a prominent researcher in research methodology. He is the recipient of the prestigious "Best Commerce Teacher" award by the Maharashtra State Commerce Teachers' Association.
- Premlila Vithaldas Polytechnic established in 1976 has been commended by experts for producing high quality programs which meet national and international standards of excellence. P.V. Polytechnic offers 9 AICTE approved courses. It offers university diplomas in Jewellery Design and Manufacture. The polytechnic is grant in aid by Directorate of Technical Education, Maharashtra State. It was given 9th rank across the fashion colleges of India by India Today in 2015. In 1992, the polytechnic was awarded Best Polytechnic award by Government of Maharashtra. It is a pioneer in jewellery design education in Asia. Dr Sachin Laddha is the principal.
- P. V. Polytechnic has 10 academic departments
- Department of Electronics Engineering
- Department of Food Technology
- Department of Ophthalmic Technology
- Department of Medical Lab Technology
- Department of Apparel Manufacture and Design
- Department of Interior Design
- Department of Administration Services
- Department of Travel and Tourism
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Jewellery Design and Manufacture
In the academic year 2015-16, the university offered 250 academic programmes from diplomas to PhDs. There are 5 faculties under which academic programmes are offered.
Faculty of Communication & Media Studies (apart from BMM programmes at four colleges) PG programmes are offered at Juhu and Pune campuses.
- MA in Media and Communication & PG Diploma in Communication media at Juhu campus at Department of Extension Education
- Communication media for children, Nutrition and Health Communication and Broadcast Media Masters program at Pune campus
AT PV Polytechnic at Juhu Campus
- Post SSC diploma courses in Administrative Services, Interior Design, Ophthalmic Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, Electronics, Food Technology, Travel & Tourism, Apparel Manufacture & Design and Jewellery Design & Manufacture and Pharmacy (Post HSC)
For the list of courses visit sndt.digitaluniversity.ac/Content.aspx?ID=1.
Masters Degree in Communication Media for Children (CMC) off Karve road, Pune campus
- Anita Dongre, designer
- Masaba Gupta, designer
- Neeta Lulla, designer
- Jaya Mehta, Gujarati poet and critic
- Chitra Mudgal, noted Hindi writer
- Rani Mukherjee, Indian actress
- Heera Pathak, Gujarati poet and critic
- Shruti Sadolikar, Indian classical music singer
- Sonakshi Sinha, Indian actress
- Bharati Vaishampayan, Indian classical music singer
- Vasubahen, Gujarati writer
- "Motto of SNDT".
- S.N.D.T Women's University
- "Affiliated Colleges". SNDT University. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "History of SNDT".
- "Campuses of SNDT".
- Brahmabhatt, Prasad (2010). અર્વાચીન ગુજરાતી સાહિત્યનો ઈતિહાસ - આધુનિક અને અનુઆધુનિક યુગ [History of Modern Gujarati Literature – Modern and Postmodern Era] (in Gujarati). Ahmedabad: Parshwa Publication. pp. 141–142. ISBN 978-93-5108-247-7.