Samsung Galaxy Mega
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini (right) and Samsung Galaxy Mega (left)
|Slogan||Stay Smart, Live Large|
Carry It Like a Phone, Use It Like a Tablet (Philippines only)
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy Mega 2|
|Dimensions||167.6 mm × 88 mm × 8.0 mm (6.60 in × 3.46 in × 0.31 in) (6.3 in model)|
162.6 mm × 82.4 mm × 9.0 mm (6.40 in × 3.24 in × 0.35 in) (5.8 in model)
|Mass||199 g (6.3 in)|
182 g (5.8 in)
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Touchwiz UI (Upgradeable to Android 4.4.2 KitKat)|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (6.3 in)|
Broadcom (5.8 in)
|CPU||1.7 GHz Dual core Krait 300 (6.3 in)|
1.4 GHz Dual core (5.8 in)
|GPU||Adreno 305 (6.3 in)|
VideoCore IV (5.8 in)
|Memory||1.5 GB RAM|
8 GB (5.8 in, usable 5.34 GB)
16 GB (6.3 in, useable 12.0 GB)
|Removable storage||microSDXC (up to 64 GB)|
|Battery||Li-ion 3,200 mAh (6.3 in)|
Li-ion 2,600 mAh (5.8 in)
|Display||6.3 in (160 mm) 720p HD Super Clear LCD, 233 ppi|
5.8 in (150 mm) 540p LCD, 190 ppi
|Rear camera||8-megapixel rear-facing camera|
|Front camera||1.9-megapixel front-facing camera|
|Connectivity||Both: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi Direct, BT 4.0 (BLE), USB 2.0 H/S GPS＋GLONASS |
6.3 in: NFC, MHL
|Other||Available in White, Black, Plum Purple|
|SAR||Head: 0.1 W/kg 1 g|
Body: 0.54 W/kg 1 g
Hotspot: 0.99 W/kg 1 g
The Samsung Galaxy Mega is an Android-based phablet that was manufactured and released by Samsung. It was announced on April 11, 2013. The original model featured a 6.3 in (160 mm) screen, though a revised version was released with a 5.8 in (150 mm) screen. It has a 1,280×720 screen, a dual-core 1.7 GHz processor and an 8-megapixel camera. The phone runs Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean" software, and internal storage is 8 or 16 GB (usable 5.34 or 12 GB respectively).
The Galaxy Mega has received the Android 4.4 "Kit Kat" update. Also available is the unofficial update Cyanogenmod 11 Android 4.4.2 update, for the Mega 6.3 (GT-I9200/I9205). The device's successor is the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2.
- Multi-window – Split screen capability
- Home Screen is available in landscape mode
- Group Play – Link with other Galaxy devices to share photos or create surround sound using each device's speaker
- Air View – Hover over areas in supported apps to view on-screen previews. (6.3 model in portrait mode only)
- S Memo – Samsung's note app. Create hand-written notes with your finger, text using the keyboard, and embed audio or images.
- S Voice – Personal assistant and knowledge navigator.
- S Translator – Translator app, with support for nine languages.
- Smart Stay – Uses the front-facing camera to track the user's eyes, and only powers off the display if the user is not looking.
- IR blaster (6.3 model)
- Smart dual SIM (5.8 model)
The Galaxy Mega largely resembles the Galaxy S4, and the two share similar features. Users can customize the lock screen and quickly access settings from the drop-down notification bar. Other features include Air View, which allows users to preview emails and photos by hovering a finger an inch above the screen, and WatchON, which lets users control a television with the smartphone. It also includes Multi Window, which allows users to use multiple apps on the same screen, a feature that is enhanced with the phone's 6.3-inch LCD (720 x 1280) display. S Translator provides quick and easy translations, and ChatON lets users share their screens with others.
The rear-facing 8-megapixel camera comes with numerous shooting modes such as Panorama and Sound & Shot. The Story Album feature lends itself to quick photo album creation on the go. The Mega runs Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). Users can store additional music, photos and videos with up to 64 GB of expandable storage with an external microSD card. A 3,200-mAh removable battery should allow the phone to run throughout the day on a single charge. The Galaxy Mega is powered by a dual-core 1.7-GHz Qualcomm MSM8930 Pro processor with 1.5GB of VRAM.
The Galaxy Mega measures 6.6 x 3.46 x 0.31 inches, and is larger than the Samsung Galaxy Note II (5.9 x 3.2 x 0.37 inches), HTC One (2013) (5.1 ounces, 5.31 x 2.63 x 0.28 inches) and Motorola Moto X (1st generation) (4.8 ounces, 5.1 x 2.6 x 0.22-0.4 inches). It weighs 7.1 ounces.
The Samsung Galaxy Mega runs Android Jelly Bean OS 4.2.2 skinned with Samsung's TouchWiz interface. Samsung's Multi Window Mode is front and center on the device. Similar to other Galaxy phones, you can customize the Mega's lock screen with widgets and shortcuts. Seven customizable home screens are available to the user. 16 quick settings buttons in the notification drawer enable users to toggle features including Wi-Fi connectivity and the proprietary Smart Stay. These buttons can be rearranged by clicking on a tile button in the top right corner of the notification drawer.
- GT-I9150 - 5.8-inch screen, 1.4 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, 8 GB built-in storage - no LTE support - no dual SIM support
- GT-I9152 - 5.8-inch screen, 1.4 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, 8 GB built-in storage - no LTE support - dual SIM support
- GT-I9200 - 6.3-inch screen, 1.7 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, 8 GB or 16 GB built-in storage - no LTE support - no dual SIM support
- GT-I9205 - 6.3-inch screen, 1.7 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, 8 GB or 16 GB built-in storage - LTE support - no dual SIM support
Only the GT-I9152 has dual SIM support. Only the GT-I9205 has LTE support (i.e. 4G-LTE support) and no FM Radio. The AT&T version of the GT-I9205 is known as the SGH-i527.
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy Note II
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
- ID=1945881 FCC documents, April 2013
- "Samsung unveils 6.3in Galaxy Mega smartphone". BBC. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- Nguyen, Hubert (2013-04-11). "Samsung Galaxy Mega Hands-On Review". ubergizmo. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- Souppouris, Aaron (2013-04-11). "Samsung announces Galaxy Mega 5.8 and 6.3, coming to Europe in May". The Verge. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- OTA Update Galaxy Mega 6.3 to Android 4.4.2 sammobile.com
- Update Galaxy Mega 6.3 to Android 4.4.2 via CyanogenMod 11 ROM Yahoo News
- Samsung Galaxy Mega: Galaxy Mega Original Android Development XDA Developers