Sanchung, San Chung
Sanchong District in New Taipei City
|Country||Republic of China (Taiwan)|
|Special municipality||New Taipei|
|• Total||16.3170 km2 (6.3000 sq mi)|
|• Density||24,000/km2 (62,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (CST)|
Sanchong District (Chinese: 三重區; pinyin: Sānchóng Qū; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Sam-tiông-khu) is an inner city district in the western part of New Taipei City, Taiwan. With an area of 16.32 km² and a population of 384,618 people (2003), it has the fourth highest population density in Taiwan and 23rd in the world, with over 23,900 people per km².
Sanchong was called Satengpo (Chinese: 三重埔; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Saⁿ-têng-po͘ / Sam-tiông-po͘), which literally means "The Third Plain" by the early settlers. The settlers from the modern-day Xinzhuang area moved up north and named the plains they settle as "The First Plain" (頭前埔, located in modern-day Xinzhuang District), "The Second Plain" (二重埔, located in modern-day Sanchong) and The Third Plain.
The district has been an important suburb of Taipei. On 1 April 1962, Sanchong was upgraded from an urban township to be a county-controlled city. On 25 December 2010 with the creation of New Taipei City from former Taipei County, Sanchong City was upgraded into a district.
As of October 2015, there were 388,550 people living in the district.
The 2010 Population Census reported that Sanchong has a population of 390,904. The population density was 24,172.6 inhabitants per square kilometer.
- National San Chung Senior High School
- New Taipei Municipal New Taipei Senior High School
- New Taipei Municipal SanChong High School
- New Taipei Municipal San-Chung Commercial and Industrial Vocational High School
- New Taipei Bridge
- Xianse Temple
- Erchong Riverside Park
- Erchong Lotus Park
- Chongyang Bridge — a cable-stayed bridge and a beautiful night-time landmark
Shopping and eating
- Sanhe Nightmarket
- Carrefour Chongxin Shopping Mall
- B&Q Home Improvements, Hardware
- IKEA Home Furnishings Etc.
The district is served by the Taipei Metro Luzhou Line (Line 4) at Sanchong Elementary School Station and Sanhe Junior High School Station, as well as Xinzhuang Line at Taipei Bridge Station, Cailiao Station, Sanchong Station, and Xianse Temple Station. The Taoyuan Airport MRT also stops at Sanchong station.
The district is accessible by National Highway No. 1, Provincial Highway No. 1 and No.1A, and Provincial Highway No. 64. The district is connected to Taipei via Chongyang Bridge, Taipei Bridge, Zhongxiao Bridge, and Zhongxing Bridge. It is also connected to Xinzhuang, Luzhou, Wugu, and Banqiao District.
- 表 2-2. 都市計畫區面積及人口-按都市計畫區別分 (PDF). 中華民國內政部營建署全球資訊網 Construction and Planning Agency Ministry of the Interior,R.O.C (in Chinese). 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
1三重 Sanchung 16.30 400 000
- List of cities proper by population density
- "Entry #40024 (三重埔)". 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Hokkien). Ministry of Education, R.O.C. 2011.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sanchong District, New Taipei.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Sanchong.|
- Government website (in Chinese)