Haines at the Charleston Air Force Base in 2013
Sara Hilary Haines
September 18, 1977
|Residence||New York City|
|Alma mater||Smith College|
|Occupation||Television host, journalist|
|Known for||The View, Good Morning America, Today|
|Spouse(s)||Max Shifrin (m. 2014)|
Sara Hilary Haines (born September 18, 1977) is an American television host and journalist, known for her work as a correspondent on Today, ABC News, and Good Morning America. Haines was a co-host of The View for seasons 20 and 21. Haines is the co-anchor of the third hour of Good Morning America, Strahan and Sara, alongside Michael Strahan.
Early life and education
Haines was born in Newton, Iowa, where she grew up with her parents and three siblings. She attended Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, where she received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Government in 2000. At Smith, Haines played basketball and volleyball.
Haines began her career in the NBC Page Program. After nine months in the program, Haines became the production coordinator for NBC's Today at Rockefeller Center in 2002. In 2009, Haines became the show's fourth-hour contributing correspondent until she departed in 2013.
After multiple appearances as a guest co-host, Haines joined The View as a permanent co-host in the show's twentieth season, which premiered on September 6, 2016. On July 23, 2018, ABC announced that she would be joining GMA with Michael Strahan from September 10, 2018.
On the March 18, 2019 episode of the Strahan & Sara Show, Haines characterized St. Patrick's Day as an Irish celebration of "drinking and public urination". The comment prompted a backlash from the Irish American community including a statement from the Ancient Order of Hibernians which called for an apology.
On November 22, 2014, she married Max Shifrin in The Bahamas. The couple resides in Brooklyn. They have two chihuahuas as pets. Their son, Alec Richard Shifrin, was born March 5, 2016. In June 2017, on an episode of The View, Haines announced that the couple was expecting their second child, a daughter, who was born in December of the same year. On January 3, 2019, Sara Haines announced she and her husband are expecting their third child. Her second son was born in June 2019.
Awards and nominations
|2017||Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sunny Hostin, and Raven-Symoné)
|2018||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sunny Hostin, and Meghan McCain)
- "Bio: Sara Haines", MSNBC
- Barber-Just, Christina, "Live on Today: Sara Haines '00 makes her mark on America's number one morning show", SAQ, Spring 2010, Smith College Alumni Association
- "Smith Athletics Inducts 13 Into First Ever Hall of Fame Class". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- "Get That Life: How I Became a Correspondent for 'Good Morning America'". June 23, 2014. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Sullivan, Lauren. "Sara Haines bids a tearful farewell to TODAY". Today Show. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "It's Official: Sara Haines Joins 'The View' as Season 20 Co-Host". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- ""The View" Returns for a Historic Season 20 on Tuesday, September 6". abc.go.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- "Sara Haines Leaving 'The View' To Do Third Hour Of 'GMA' With Michael Strahan". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- Steinberg, Brian (2018-07-21). "Michael Strahan, Sara Haines Will Host ABC's New 'GMA' Hour". Variety. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- Pedersen, Erik (2018-07-21). "Sara Haines Leaving 'The View' To Do Third Hour Of 'GMA' With Michael Strahan". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "ABC should apologize for St Patrick's Day "drinking and public urination" comment". Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- "Inside Sara Haines's Sensible & Stylish Nursery on The View - The View". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- "The View to add Good Morning America anchor Sara Haines as host". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- "GMA host Sara Haines returns to work after giving birth to a son". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Kim, Eun Kyung. "It's a girl! 'View' co-host Sara Haines expecting 2nd child". Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- "The View's Sara Haines Welcomes Baby Girl, Sandra Grace: Photo". Us Weekly. 2017-12-23. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- GMA Team (January 3, 2019). "GMA Day' co-host Sara Haines is pregnant with baby No. 3!". ABC News. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Haines, Sara [@sarahaines] (December 2, 2016). "Alec and Max's first #Christmas 🌲 @maxshifrin instagram.com/p/BNiZQmJg7lL/" (Tweet). Retrieved February 28, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Evans, Greg (March 22, 2017). "2017 Daytime Emmy Nominations: CBS Leads Networks With 70 Noms, 'Young & Restless' Tops With 25". Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Montgomery, Daniel (March 21, 2018). "2018 Daytime Emmy nominations: Full list of nominees for 45th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards". Retrieved March 22, 2018.
| The View co-host
| The View co-host