Scotland on Sunday
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Edinburgh, Scotland, UK|
|Sister newspapers||Edinburgh Evening News|
Scotland on Sunday is a Scottish Sunday newspaper, published in Edinburgh by JPIMedia and consequently assuming the role of Sunday sister to its daily stablemate The Scotsman. It was originally printed in broadsheet format but in 2013 was relaunched as a tabloid. Since this latest relaunch it comprises three parts, the newspaper itself which includes the original "Insight" section, a sports section and Spectrum magazine which incorporates "At Home", originally a separate magazine.
Scotland on Sunday was launched on 7 August 1988 and was priced at 40p.
Ultimate ownership of Scotland on Sunday has changed several times since launch. The Scotsman Publications Limited, which also produces The Scotsman, Edinburgh Evening News and the Herald & Post series of free newspapers in Edinburgh, Fife, West Lothian and Perth, was bought by the Canadian millionaire Roy Thomson in 1953.
In 1995, the group was sold to the billionaire Barclay Brothers for £85 million. They moved the group from its landmark Edinburgh office on North Bridge, which is now an upmarket hotel, to new offices in Holyrood Road, near where the Scottish Parliament Building was subsequently built. Then in December 2005 the paper, along with the other Scotsman Publications titles, was sold to Edinburgh-based newspaper group Johnston Press in a £160 million deal. Johnston Press entered administration in November 2018. Its assets were acquired by JPIMedia.
- List of newspapers in Scotland
- Iain Gale, Scotland on Sunday art critic
- Andrew Crumey, Scotland on Sunday literary editor, 2000–06
- McIvor, Jamie (7 December 2012). "BBC News - Scottish newspaper see sales slump". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Scotland can be changed for the better with a no vote". Scotland on Sunday. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Doward, Jamie (17 November 2018). "Johnston Press: Rescue plan for Scotsman newspaper group". The Guardian.