Scott Dawson (evangelist)
Dawson in 2009
|Born||September 14, 1967|
Beeson Divinity School—Master of Divinity
|Occupation||Speaker-founder, Strength to Stand Conference|
Founder, Scott Dawson Evangelistic Association
|Home town||Birmingham, Alabama|
Scott Dawson (born September 14, 1967) is an American author and preacher, and the founder of the Scott Dawson Evangelistic Association (SDEA), and of the Strength to Stand Conference movement.
Dawson was born on September 14, 1967. He graduated from Samford University earning a Bachelor of Arts, and earned a Master of Divinity from Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama. Later in 1993, he received his ordination and certificate of gospel ministry by order of the Roebuck Park Baptist Church. He preached his first sermon at the age of 16. Shortly after, he began speaking at various churches. By the age of 20, Scott founded the evangelistic association that would come to be known as SDEA (Scott Dawson Evangelistic Association). Since 1987, the organization has founded and directed numerous music festivals featuring Christian artists and speakers. In 2005 Scott Dawson partnered with Scott Lenning who worked as crusade director at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association for nearly 20 years. The Scott Dawson Evangelistic Association operates out of Birmingham, Alabama, where Scott and his wife, Tarra, reside with their children Hunter and Hope.
Dawson announced he would enter the Alabama 2018 gubernatorial race on the Rick and Bubba radio show on June 5, 2017. In the 2018 Republican gubernatorial election Dawson polled 79,546 votes at 13.46% of the general vote. He came in third place in the primary.
Drug testing all Alabama schools
Scott Dawson Conferences
Dawson and his organization founded the Strength to Stand Conference. Being held annually since 1989, the conferences, aimed at teens and young adults, feature Christian artists and speakers. Musical acts such as Lecrae, Jamie Grace and David Crowder.
SDEA is also the parent organization behind StadiumFest, a festival which draws over 30,000 attendees annually. One Birmingham News reporter billed StadiumFest as "the largest free Christian crowd Birmingham has seen since 1986".
- Dear Lord Why?' (Scott Dawson Evangelistic Association, 2001).
- Complete Evangelism Guidebook (Baker Books, 2006).
- Evangelism Today: Effectively Sharing the Gospel in a Rapidly Changing World (Baker Books, 2009).
- Garrison, Greg (September 23, 2007) "Dawson looks back at 20 years as minister." Birmingham News.
- "Evangelist Scott Dawson, GOP candidate for governor, calls for drug testing in all Alabama schools". AL.com. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "AAP Opposes In School Drug Testing Due to Lack of Evidence". www.aap.org. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Lecrae performing at STS conference". Youtube.com. January 20, 2012. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "Jamie Grace performing at STS conference". Artistdata.sonicbids.com. December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Thomas Greene. "Thomas Green on STS conference". Smokymountainvacationguidetn.com. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "Al.com Reports on StadiumFest". Blog.al.com. April 2011. Retrieved January 24, 2013.