This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Subsidiary of Albertsons|
|Fate||sold to Schnucks in 2002|
|Founded||1858 (Memphis, Tennessee)|
Number of locations
Seessel's was founded in 1858, when Henry Seessel opened a meat stand in downtown Memphis. The first Seessel's Supermarket opened on Union Avenue in 1941. In 1997, brothers Art and Jerry Seessel, the fifth generation of the family to operate the business, sold the supermarket to Alabama-based Bruno’s Supermarkets. Bruno's struggled with the 10-store chain, and Seessels took back the stores before selling them to Idaho-based Albertsons, Inc. in 1999. In 2002, Albertsons sold the 12-store chain to Schnucks, which rebranded the stores.
- Dowd, James (September 2, 2011). "Schnucks to leave Memphis; sells most grocery stores, gas stations to Kroger". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved December 19, 2011.