Long with the Mariners in 2019
|Seattle Mariners – No. 39|
|Born: August 22, 1995|
|May 11, 2019, for the Seattle Mariners|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 17, 2019)
|Runs batted in||11|
Long attended Jacksonville High School in Jacksonville, Alabama. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 12th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft. He made his professional debut that year with the Arizona League Reds, batting .256 with one home run and eight RBIs in 24 games, and played 2014 with the Billings Mustangs where he batted .172 in 29 games. After starting his professional career as a catcher, Long was converted into a second baseman in 2015. He played 2015 with the Dayton Dragons where he compiled a .283 batting average with six home runs and 16 RBIs in 42 games. Long started 2016 with Dayton before being promoted to the Daytona Tortugas during the season. In 132 total games between the two teams, he slashed .293/.371/.471 with 15 home runs and 75 RBIs along with 21 stolen bases. In 2017, he played for both Daytona and the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, collecting a combined .281 batting average with 16 home runs and 50 RBIs in 104 total games between both clubs.
On January 21, 2019, the Reds traded Long and a compensation draft pick in the 2019 MLB draft to the New York Yankees for Sonny Gray and Reiver Sanmartin. The Yankees then traded Long to the Seattle Mariners for Josh Stowers.
Long began the 2019 season with the Tacoma Rainers. On May 10, he was called up to the major league roster for the first time. He made his major league debut on May 11 versus the Boston Red Sox.
- "Jacksonville's Shed Long was born to play ball. Now he'll do it for the Reds | Sports". annistonstar.com. June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "FSL notes: Long sheds tools of ignorance". MiLB.com. August 17, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "Baseball: Jacksonville's Long doing big things in the minor leagues | Sports". annistonstar.com. June 23, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "Cincinnati promotes Jacksonville's Long | The Jacksonville News". annistonstar.com. August 2, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "Shed Long Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- "Cincinnati Reds protect Shed Long, Jose Siri and four others from the Rule 5 Draft". Cincinnati.com. November 20, 2017. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- "Shed Long Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- Hoffman, Jason (May 10, 2019). "Former Reds prospect Shed Long called up by Mariners – relive his journey to MLB here". Cincinnati.com. Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- "Seattle Mariners at Boston Red Sox Box Score, May 11, 2019". Baseball Reference. Retrieved May 12, 2019.