Sheridan station (CTA)
|Chicago 'L' rapid transit station|
|Location||3940 North Sheridan Road|
Chicago, Illinois 60613
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Line(s)||North Side Main Line|
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Tracks||4 (only 3 in use)|
|Opened||May 31, 1900|
|Passengers (2017)||1,726,236 7.3%|
|Rank||35 out of 143|
Sheridan is an 'L' station on the CTA's Red Line. It is an elevated station with two island platforms, located at 3940 North Sheridan Road, in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago's Lakeview community area. Sheridan is the closest 'L' stop to Graceland Cemetery, which is about one-half mile to the west on Irving Park Road. The Sheridan station is one of only two remaining 'L' stations that were built on S-curves; Indiana on the Green Line is the other.
Purple Line connections
Beginning spring 2007 and lasting through 2009, northbound and southbound Purple Line Express trains stop at Sheridan before Chicago Cubs weekday night games in order to provide more service to nearby Wrigley Field. Previously, trains had stopped at the Addison station to the south but that station does not have platform access to the express tracks as Sheridan does, which required Purple Line trains to cross over to the Red Line tracks. In order to prevent this from adding to delays caused by the Brown Line reconstruction, the stop was moved to Sheridan.
Red & Purple Modernization Project
As part of the Red & Purple Modernization Project, the Sheridan station was proposed to be replaced with a new Irving Park station if the CTA decides not to go with the "no action" alternative.
From March 6, 2015 until October 23, 2017, all Loop-bound Purple Line express trains shared tracks with 95th-bound Red Line trains (and stopped during AM rush hours), due to the Wilson station reconstruction.
- X9 Ashland Express (weekday rush hours only)
- 80 Irving Park
- 151 Sheridan
The station has two island platforms—potentially giving access to all four tracks that run through the station. Only the Red Line, which runs on the inner tracks, stops at the station.
Notes and references
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-27. Retrieved 2015-05-26.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Annual Ridership Report – Calendar Year 2017" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority, Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 31, 2018. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- CTA Provides Service to Wrigley Field This Baseball Season. Chicago Transit Authority. 2007-04-05. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.
- "Red & Purple Line Modernization Alternatives Being Considered". Chicago Transit Authority. transitchicago.com. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheridan (CTA).|