This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Sholanganallur is a residential locality of Chennai, India, located on the IT corridor south of the city. The rapid growth of Sholanganallur's economy, population and infrastructure can be attributed to information technology business parks and dedicated special economic zones (SEZ). Sholanganallur is surrounded by other IT based suburbs such as Siruseri, Perungudi and Taramani. Tamil Nadu government's TIDCO is building a Financial City in Sholanganallur to house global financial corporations. Sholanganallur is the biggest assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu in terms of voters. Sholanganallur was annexed in to Chennai Corporation in 2011, and it is the last(200th) ward of Chennai city, administered as a part of Chennai Corporation. Also, Government is constructing Metro Train-Phase 2 along this route from Madhavaram till Siruseri IT park(deadline to be operational for this Corridor-3 by 2024. Sholanganallur comes under Zone-1(Madhya Kailash to Sholanganallur) of OMR Road.
Sholinganallur has become the IT Hub for Chennai city since major IT companies are located in this region.
Etymology given by researchers is
- chola+ angam+nallur = place that is part of chola's settlement, when they created this place for live during 8th century.before which this use to be a marsh land with mamgo forest.
As of 2011[update] India census, the population of Sholinganallur reached about 7.5 lakh, making it one of the most densely populated places in Tamil Nadu. The Sholinganallur Assembly constituency witnessed the highest population influx in Tamil Nadu in the last seven years. According to official draft electoral list released on September 1,2018 the number of voters has risen to 6.07 lakh now as against 3.4 lakh in the 2011 Assembly elections.
Location and connectivity
Sholanganallur is located at the junction connecting East Coast Road to Tambaram, Mudichur and Adyar to Mahabalipuram, along Old Mahabalipuram Road. It is an important junction in Southern part of Greater Chennai. It is at a distance of 14.3 km from Tambaram, 2 km away from East Coast Road(ECR), 34.8 km away from Mamallapuram and 13.5 km away from Adyar. Sholanganallur is well connected by road ways. Many IT companies are located within 5 km. It is well connected with the city with MTC & TNSTC-villupuram and many share autorichshaws.
Sholanganallur is home to a number of BPO and IT/ITES companies. All major IT companies like Wipro, Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services, Automotive Robotics,Flintobox 4iapps solutions, PayPal, eBay Inc, Exemplarr Worldwide, HCL Technologies, Cognizant (CTS), Tech Mahindra,Screen Plus have their own facilities in Sholanganallur. Almost all major IT/ITES companies like, Accenture India, ebay, Trident Solutions, American Megatrends, PayPal have their presence here.
The Suburb's population continues to grow rapidly as more and more employees and family of IT professionals (employed in the neighborhood) continue to move in and take up residence at Sholanganallur. Proximity to employment opportunities, good asset appreciation, outstanding road Infrastructure, proximity to beaches at ECR and other entertainment venues continues to attract more residents to this suburb.
Tamil Nadu Government's TNHB has created a satellite township at Shollinganallur with IT Parks, arterial roads, schools,parks, play grounds and bus Terminus. The TNHB township of 4000 dwellings is situated next to the upcoming 200 acres (0.81 km2) Rs1000 crore National Maritime university complex. DLF is currently building 3500 apartment complex in Sholanganallur. This complex will have a hospital, school and other amenities. Popular budget serviced apartments are available, which are mostly used by Corporates.
Popular restaurants such as Agusthya, Ponnusamy (Chettinad), Daawath (Mougal)and Thamburan(Malabar) are located here. Hanumaya mess and Bhaskar Andhra Mess, are two local low budget Cafeteria popular with people from all walks of life is also located here.
Housing area of Sholanganallur includes Akkarai, Panaiyur, Rajiv Gandhi Nagar,and MGR Nagar, uthandi(ECR TollPlaza) Which are located in East Coast Road.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Multi-speciality hospitals located around Sholanganallur are Adithya Bone & Joint Speciality Clinic, LifeLine Multi Speciality Hospital, Global Hospitals, Chettinad Hospitals, Swaram Hospitals, Life care, Om Sakthi Clinic and Physio Pulze Physiotherapy Clinic.
Colleges include St Joseph's Institute of Technology(A Unit of St Joseph's college of engineering) KCG College of Technology(A Unit of Hindustan Group of Institutions), Jeppiaar Engineering College, Sathyabama University, St. Mary's School of Management Studies, Jeppiaar SRR engineering college, St. Joseph's College of Engineering, Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Thangavelu Engineering college,Shree Motilal Kanhaiyalal Fomra Institute of Technology (13 km from Sholanganallur), Ragas Dental college, Mohamed Sathak College of Arts and Science, Anand Institute of Technology (8 km from Sholanganallur), NTTF Information Technology Centre, Nr MTL Sholanganallur, Head Office Telichery Kannur.
National maritime University,the first in India is currently being built in Sholanganallur. The university complex will also house an Aquarium, National Maritime Museum, Food Courts, Hotel and a residential complex. The Ministry of Shipping is seeking public private partnership to build a five star hotel in the complex.
Some schools here are Government Higher Secondary School, Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School,Sacred Heart Global school(CBSE), Gateway School, Ellen sharma Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sree Iyyapa Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Bala Vidya Mandir, Amelio Early Learning Center, Babaji Vidhyashram School
The town is well renowned for Sholinganallur Prathyangira Devi Temple where the Goddess throned gigantic and powerful. Many devotees from various parts of the country regularly visit here. The temple is located close to the junction and halfway down the link road of ECR and OMR.
Sri Subramanya Swamy Temple
Sholanganallur Srinivasa Varadharaja Swami Temple : Includes Lord Shiva & Lord Vishnu individual presence.
Sholanganallur Ponni-amman Kovil: A temple to powerful god Ponni-amman.
Sholanganallur Vigneshwarayar Temple: A temple of God Vinayaga. As it surrounded by the people with the locality named as Vigneshwaraya nagar. Maintained by Vigneshwaraya Nagar Association.
- Sholanganallur Durgai Amman Temple
- Sholanganallur Selli-Amman Temple
- Sholanganallur Pazhandi-Amman Kovil
- sholanganallur thulukanathu amman kovil
- Sholanganallur Naga-Amman Temple
- ISKON Temple in ECR
- Selva Vinayagar Temple in Akkarai
- Raja Ganapathi in Uthandi(Near Uthandi TollPlaza)
- Masjid-e-Noor ( Behind Punjab National Bank )
- Masjidur Rahman ( Near Elcot Sez )
- Sathak Masjid ( Inside Mohamed Sathak College Campus )
Near Sholanganallur Main Signal.RTO code: (TN-14).
- "Tamil Nadu News : Sholanganallur biggest constituency in terms of voters". The Hindu. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "PayPal employees' initiative to support Chennai Corporation". Chennai. The Hindu. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Wipro IT Business | IT Services, Consulting, System Integration, Outsourcing". Wipro.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- Infosys Limited. "Contact". Infosys. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
-  Archived 11 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Trident Solutions : : Contact Us". Tridentnets.com. Archived from the original on 27 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
-  Archived 17 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.megabites.co.in - Multicuisine Rooftop Restaurant
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140225042519/http://dreaminn.in/ - Serviced Apartments Old Mahabalipuram Road Near Infosys
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110808142308/http://www.thesouthchennai.com/ - latest Tamil news about sholanganallur,
- Sholanganallur Sri Maha Prathyangira Devi Kovil(Temple) Official Site
- SIPCOT IT Park map
- http://www.livingspring.co.in/ - Living Spring English Church, Sholanganallur.
- http://www.sacredheartsholinganallur.com/ -Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School,sholanganallur
- Panoramic view
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110808142308/http://www.thesouthchennai.com/ The South Chennai Latest Updated News About Sholanganallur In Tamil
- http://vegvillage.in/index.php vegetables home delivery service for sholanganallur