Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
|Published||21 September 2007|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Preceded by||Fifth Edition|
The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (SOED) is an English language dictionary published by the Oxford University Press. The SOED is a two-volume abridgement of the twenty-volume Oxford English Dictionary (OED).
The first editor, William Little, worked on the book from 1902 until his death in 1922. The dictionary was completed by H. W. Fowler, Jessie Coulson, and C. T. Onions. An abridgement of the complete work was contemplated from 1879, when the Oxford University Press took over from the Philological Society on what was then known as A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles. However, no action was taken until 1902, when the work was begun by William Little, a fellow of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He laboured until his death in 1922, at which point he had completed "A" to "T" and "V". The remaining letters were completed by Henry Watson Fowler ("U", "X", "Y", and "Z") and Mrs. E. A. Coulson (Jessie Coulson) ("W") under the direction of Charles Talbut Onions, who succeeded Little as editor. Onions wrote that SOED was "to present in miniature all the features of the principal work" and to be "a quintessence of those vast materials" in the complete OED.
The first edition was published in February 1933. It was reprinted in March and April of that year and again in 1934.
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary/The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles (Hardcover): 2 volumes.
- ?th impression (1933-??-??)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (Hardcover): 1 volume.
- ?th impression (1959-??-??)
A Second Edition appeared in 1936 contained about 3,000 revisions and additions and was reprinted in 1939.
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on historical principles (Hardcover 2475 pages): Second edition 1 volume reprinted 1939.
- Prepared by William Little, H. W.Fowler, J. Coulson
- Revised and edited by C. T. Onions 
A Third Edition was published in the United States under the name The Oxford Universal Dictionary in 1944 with reprints in 1947, 1950, 1952 and 1955. The 1955 reprint contained an addendum of new entries. The 1973 reprint, which contained an enlarged addenda with over seventy pages and a major revision of all the etymologies.
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (Hardcover)
- 1st? impression (1944-01-01)
- The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles (Third Edition, revised with addenda) (Hardcover) (ASIN B01N22ETM9): Includes addenda.
- ?th impression (1964-??-??)
- ?th impression (1968-??-??)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-861106-4/ISBN 978-0-19-861106-6): 1 volume.
- 1st? impression (1970-??-??)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-861125-0/ISBN 978-0-19-861125-7): 1 volume.
- 1st? impression (1973-11-??)
- The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles (Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-861126-9/ISBN 978-0-19-861126-4)
- ?th impression (1973-11-22)
- ?th impression (1975-??-??)
- The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (Guild Publishing edition, Hardcover) (ASIN B00HLDC3M2)
- ?th impression (1985-??-??)
The New SOED was prepared under the editorship of Lesley Brown 1980-1993 and was the first complete revision of the dictionary and should be considered a re-abridgement of the SOED and its supplements. The whole text was completely revised for the Fourth Edition, which was published in 1993 as the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. The book attempted to include all English words which had substantial currency after 1700, plus the vocabulary of Shakespeare, John Milton, Edmund Spenser and the King James Version. As a historical dictionary, it includes obsolete words if they are used by major authors and earlier meanings where they explain the development of a word. Headwords are traced back to their earliest usage. Includes 97,600 headwords, 25,250 variant spellings, 500,000 definitions, 87,400 illustrative quotations and 7,333 sources of quotations (including 5,519 individual authors).
- ?th impression (1993-??-??)
- The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary thumb index edition (Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-861271-0/ISBN 978-0-19-861271-1)
- ?th impression (1993-10-14)
The Fifth Edition was published in 2002, and contains more than half a million definitions, with 83,500 illustrative quotations from 7,000 authors. The name Shorter Oxford English Dictionary was used to emphasise the link between this two-volume dictionary and the original twenty-volume OED.
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Fifth Edition (Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-860457-2/ISBN 978-0-19-860457-0)
- ?th impression (2002-12-31)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM Version 2.0 (ISBN 0-19-860613-3/ISBN 978-0-19-860613-0):
- ?th impression (2003-01-09)
On 21 September 2007, the Sixth Edition appeared. The dictionary now includes 600,000 words, phrases, and definitions, covering global English-speaking regions and 2500 new words and meanings from Oxford Dictionaries and Oxford English Corpus. As previously, the vocabulary includes entries in general English from 1700 to the present day and in earlier major literary works. The dictionary includes 80,000 quotations illustrating the use of words, thousands of newly discovered antedatings based on the continuing research for the OED, 2,500 new words and senses, thousands of antedatings of existing words from Oxford English Dictionary and Oxford English Corpus, many new quotations from recent authors, and a complete review of spelling forms and defining vocabulary.
16,000 words lost their hyphen. Angus Stevenson, the editor of the Shorter OED, stated the reason: "People are not confident about using hyphens anymore, they're not really sure what they are for." Its researchers reviewed a corpus of 2 billion words (in newspapers, books, web sites and blogs from 2000). Bumble-bee is now bumblebee, ice-cream is ice cream and pot-belly is pot belly.
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Sixth Edition (Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-920687-2/ISBN 978-0-19-920687-2)
- ?th impression (2007-09-20)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Sixth Edition (Deluxe leather-bound Hardcover) (ISBN 0-19-923325-X/ISBN 978-0-19-923325-0)
- ?th impression (2007-09-20)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM Version 3.0 (ISBN 0-19-923176-1/ISBN 978-0-19-923176-8): Supports linking to word processors.
- ?th impression (2007-09-13)
- Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Deluxe edition (hardcover+CD-ROM) (ISBN 0-19-920688-0/ISBN 978-0-19-920688-9):
- ?th impression (2007-09-20)
(The CD-ROM supports Windows 2000 or higher, Mac OS x 10.3.9 (PowerPC) or 10.4 or 10.5 (Intel) or higher).
In addition to all of the contents of the traditional paper dictionary, the electronic versions include:
- Audio pronunciations
- Automatic look-up of words from other applications
- Search functions
- Crossword solver and anagram functions
- Mac OS X version
- Version 3.2 (OS X 10.9 64-bit, 2016-12-01)
- Windows version: Published by MobiSystems, Inc.
- Version 220.127.116.11 (Windows 8.1, 2015-??-??, 10-device installation)
- From personal copy
- Oxford University Press, The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, Fourth Edition, 1993, Preface
- Oxford University Press, The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, Sixth Edition, 2007, Preface to the sixth edition
- Reuters (September 23, 2007). "Hyphens perish as English marches on". MSNBC. Archived from the original on 2007-10-07. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Reuters, Thousands of hyphens perish as English marches on (Retrieved 18 May 2008)
- Oxford University Press, Shorter Oxford English Dictionary 6th Edition on CD-ROM Archived 11 August 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- WordWeb Software, Windows version Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
- WordWeb Software, Macintosh version Shorter Oxford English Dictionary