This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Keniucho Harada as Silver Samurai as seen in New Avengers #12.
Art by David Finch.
|First appearance||Daredevil #111 (July 1974)|
|Created by||Steve Gerber |
|Alter ego||Kenuichio Harada|
Shingen "Shin" Harada
|Abilities||Master samurai and martial artist|
Wears a lightweight steel alloy body armor
Extensive knowledge of criminal organizations
Carries katana, shuriken and other weapons
Ability to generate a tachyon field
Fictional character biography
Kenuichio Harada is the original Silver Samurai. The character first appeared in Daredevil #111 (July 1974), and was created by writer Steve Gerber and artist Bob Brown. A Japanese mutant who uses his powers to charge his katana and wears a samurai-style armor made of a silvery metal, he is the illegitimate son of Shingen Yashida, the half-brother of Mariko Yashida, a cousin of Sunfire and Sunpyre, and a nemesis of Wolverine.
Shingen "Shin" Harada is the new Silver Samurai. The character first appeared in Wolverine Vol. 2 #300 (March 2012), and was created by Jason Aaron and Steven Sanders. A human who relies on technology, he is Kenuichio Harada's illegitimate son named after Harada's father Shingen Yashida.
In other media
- The Kenuichio Harada version of Silver Samurai appeared in the X-Men animated series, voiced by Denis Akiyama.
- The Kenuichio Harada version of Silver Samurai appears in the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series, voiced by Keone Young.
- The Yashida Clan is referenced in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. In the episode "Widow's Sting", the group is mentioned to be led by Gorgon; Madame Hydra mentions to Baron Strucker that the Yashida Clan have pledged their allegiance to Hydra.
- The Kenuichio Harada version of Silver Samurai appears in Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers, voiced by Takanori Nishikawa.
A heavily adapted version of Silver Samurai named Ichirō Yashida appears in the 2013 film The Wolverine, played by Haruhiko Yamanouchi (elderly depiction) and by Ken Yamamura (young depiction). As the Yashida clan's technology empire's original founder, he is depicted as Wolverine's old acquaintance, Shingen Yashida's father, Mariko Yashida's grandfather and Yukio's foster father. As a young man in the Japanese military, Ichirō's life was saved by Logan during the United States' atomic bombing of Nagasaki and even offered his personal sword as gratitude. As an old man dying of cancer, Yashida arranged to be visited by Logan before seemingly passing with a family suit of samurai armor (referred to as the Silver Samurai) at his funeral as a symbolic guardian. Unfortunately, his successor being Mariko instead of Shingen leads to his son's own plans. In actuality, Yashida faked his death and equipped himself into his own adamantium Silver Samurai armor which wields a katana and a wakizashi (both of which are adamantium and can generate heat) with Dr. Green and Kenuichio Harada as enforcers. Obsessed with Wolverine's healing factor and immortality, Yashida devised his Silver Samurai armor not only to sustain himself but also to steal Wolverine's healing powers. Even eliminating Harada in his way, he uses his heated adamantium blades to sever Wolverine's adamantium claws which allowed him to extract Wolverine's healing factor via his Silver Samurai armor and regains his youthful form. However, Ichirō gets struck by his granddaughter with Wolverine's broken adamantium claws. As Ichirō loses control of his Silver Samurai armor, Wolverine's regrown bone claws impales Yashida through his chest which made him revert back to his elderly form before tossing him to his death in a crevasse below.
- The Kenuichio Harada iteration of Silver Samurai was a playable character in X-Men: Children of the Atom and Marvel vs. Capcom 2, voiced by Yasushi "Ike-Bomb" Ikeda.
- The Kenuichio Harada iteration of Silver Samurai appears in X-Men: The Official Game, voiced by Keone Young.
- The Kenuichio Harada iteration of Silver Samurai appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes, voiced by Andrew Kishino.
- Daredevil #111. Marvel Comics.
- Wolverine vol. 2 #300. Marvel Comics.
- "T.M.Revolution Plays Silver Samurai in Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers – News". Anime News Network. 2014-05-22. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- "SDCC: Hugh Jackman Confirms The Wolverine Villain". ComingSoon.net. 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- Trumbore, Dave. "WOLVERINE Adds Japanese Actors". Collider. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- Miller, Greg (2013-07-20). "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Characters and Cast Revealed". IGN. Retrieved 2016-02-17.