An aerial view of the construction site in May 2016
|Elevation AMSL||203 ft / 62 m|
Sindhudurg Airport is an airport at Chipi-Parule in Sindhudurg district, in the State of Maharashtra, India. It is located 27 kilometres from the Mumbai - Goa highway, 12 kilometres from Malvan close to the sea shore. Construction was completed by the second half of 2018 and a familiarisation flight (Test Flight) from Mumbai Airport landed on 12 September 2018 on occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi.  The airport was formally inaugurated on 5 March 2019. Alliance Air, an Air India subsidiary has secured permissions to operate flights from Mumbai. Commercial flights are expected to start soon.
IRB Infrastructure won the bid to develop the airport in 2009 for a concession period of 95 years. The project received environmental clearance in March 2012. Work on the airport was completed in the second half of 2018. Work on the airport was expected to be completed by August 2014, but had been delayed because of issues in acquiring private land, among others.
The airport has been built by IRB Sindhudurg Airport Pvt. Ltd. on a Build–operate–transfer (BOT) basis for the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC). The airport was initially planned with a 3170 metre long runway at a cost of Rs. 175 crores. It is spread over 275 hectares and the 2500 metre runway is able to accommodate aircraft like the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737. The airport terminal building will has a capacity to handle 200 departing and 200 arriving passengers during peak hours.
- "Maharashtra's Sindhudurg Airport may begin regular operations soon! First 'test flight' to land on Sep 12". Financial Express. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Successful test flight lands at Sindhudurg Airport". Press Information Bureau. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "IRB Infra wins Sindhudurg airport bid". MoneyControl. 4 August 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "IRB Infra's Sindhudurg airport gets environmental clearance". CNBC-TV18. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Sindhudurg airport to be up next year". Daily News & Analysis. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "International flights from Sindhudurg soon". Daily News & Analysis. 23 March 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Work on Chipi airport takes off". The Times of India. 14 April 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Development Greenfield Airport in Sindhudurg District". IRB Infra. Archived from the original on 29 June 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|