Sir James Duke, 1st Baronet
He was elected as Sheriff of the City of London in 1837 and Lord Mayor of London in 1847. In June that year a vacancy arose in the City of London constituency when the Liberal MP James Pattison died age 62. A group of leading Liberals from the City met on 16 July and resolved to nominate Duke for the vacancy if he would consent, agreeing that:
"impressed with the opinion that the personal character and commercial experience of the Rt. Hon. Sir James Duke, combined with his business habits, and his long acquaintance with public affairs as a member of the House of Commons, eminently qualify him for the representation of the various interests of this city in Parliament"
He resigned his Boston seat by taking the Chiltern Hundreds, and at the by-election on 27 July 1849 he was elected as an MP for the City of London constituency, winning more than twice as many votes as his sole opponent, the Conservative Party candidate Lord John Manners.
He was made a baronet in October 1849, on 30 November he was appointed as a commissioner for enquiring into Smithfield Market. He held the City of London seat until he stood down from the Commons at the 1865 general election.
- Ward-Jackson, Philip (2003), Public Sculpture of the City of London, Public Sculpture of Britain, 7, Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, pp. 125–126
- Leigh Rayment's list of baronets – Baronetcies beginning with "D" (part 3)
- "No. 19532". The London Gazette. 15 August 1837. p. 2159.
- "No. 20000". The London Gazette. 20 July 1841. p. 1893.
- "No. 20763". The London Gazette. 10 August 1847. p. 2922.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 55. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 3)
- "Representation Of London". London. 17 July 1849. p. 6, col E.
- "No. 21006". The London Gazette. 7 August 1849. p. 2451.
- "No. 21003". The London Gazette. 27 July 1849. p. 2351.
- Craig, pages 5–6
- "No. 21035". The London Gazette. 6 November 1849. p. 3304.
- "No. 21042". The London Gazette. 30 November 184. p. 3647.
- "No. 23825". The London Gazette. 6 February 1872. p. 403.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir James Duke
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
John Studholme Brownrigg
| Member of Parliament for Boston
With: John Studholme Brownrigg 1835–47
Benjamin Bond Cabbell 1847–57
Benjamin Bond Cabbell
Lord John Russell
Baron Lionel de Rothschild
| Member of Parliament for City of London
With: Baron Lionel de Rothschild 1847–68
Lord John Russell 1841–61
John Masterman 1841–57
Robert Wigram Crawford 1857–74
Western Wood 1861–63
George Goschen 1863–80
Robert Wigram Crawford
Baron Lionel de Rothschild
John Kinnersley Hooper
| Lord Mayor of London
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baronet