Scouting in Idaho
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Scouting in Idaho|
"Friendship Poles" in Farragut Park
McCammon Library Opening
Scouting in Idaho has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
- 1 Early history (1910-1950)
- 2 Recent history (1950-1990)
- 3 Boy Scouts of America in Idaho today
- 4 Organization
- 4.1 Grand Teton Council
- 4.2 Inland Northwest Council
- 4.3 Ore-Ida Council
- 4.4 Snake River Council
- 4.5 Trapper Trails Council
- 5 Girl Scouting in Idaho
- 6 See also
- 7 References
Early history (1910-1950)
The Boise Council (#105) was founded in 1919, and changed its name in 1927 to the Boise Area Council (#105). In 1951 the council changed its name to the Mountainview Council (#105). In 1968 the council merged with the Ore-Ida Council (#106).
The Western Idaho Council (#106) was founded in 1927, and changed its name in 1929 to the Oregon-Idaho Area Council (#106). In 1933 the council changed its name to the Ore-Ida Council (#106). The Bonner-Boundry Council (#106) merged with the Inland Northwest Council.
The Idaho Falls Council (#107) was founded in 1922, and changed its name in 1925 to the Teton Peaks Council (#107). In 1993, the council merged with the Tendoy Area Council (#109) to become Grand Teton Council (#107).
The Nez Perce County Council (#108) was founded in 1919 and changed its name in 1922 to the Lewiston Council (#108). It changed its name in 1925 to the Lewis-Clark Area Council (#108). In 1928 the council changed its name to the Lewis-Clark Council (#108). The council merged with the Inland Northwest Council (#661) in 1992.
The Pocatello Council (#109) was founded in 1919, and changed its name in 1925 to the Eastern Idaho Council (#109). It changed its name in 1934 to the Tendoy Area Council (#109). In 1993, the council merged with the Teton Peaks Council to become Grand Teton Council (#107).
The Shoshone County Council (#110) was founded in 1918, and changed its name in 1923 to the Shoshone-Kooteni Council (#110). In 1928 the council changed its name to the Idaho Panhandle Council (#110). The council merged with the Inland Northwest Council (#661) in 1992.
Recent history (1950-1990)
The 1969 National Scout Jamboree was held at Farragut State Park. Half of the 1973 National Scout Jamboree (Jamboree West) was held at the same location. The park hosted the 12th World Scout Jamboree in 1967.
International Girl Scout gatherings named Senior Roundups were held every three years from 1956 until 1965. The last one was held at Farragut Reservation, Idaho, from July 17 to July 26, 1965, with 12,000 girls in attendance.
Boy Scouts of America in Idaho today
Grand Teton Council
|Grand Teton Council (#107)|
|Headquarters||Idaho Falls, Idaho|
Grand Teton Council was formed as a result of a 1994 merger between Tendoy Area Council, headquartered in Pocatello, and Teton Peaks Council, headquartered in Idaho Falls. They serve over 22,000 Scouts and 12,000 leaders in eastern Idaho, western Wyoming, and southwestern Montana. Their main office is in Idaho Falls, with other offices in Pocatello, Blackfoot, and Rexburg.
- BingPow District
- Blackfoot District
- Centennial District
- Eagle Rock District
- Jackson District (Wyoming)
- Lost River District
- Malad District
- North Caribou District
- Portneuf District
- Salmon District
- South Caribou District
- South Fork District
- Star Valley District (Wyoming)
- Tendoy District
- Teton District
- Wolverine District
- Yellowstone District
Grand Teton Council operates six camping properties; three Scout Camps, a whitewater High Adventure Base, and two Cub Scout/Webelos day camps.
Island Park Scout Camp
This camp, located east of the town of Last Chance in Fremont County, Idaho, was established in 1975. The camp grounds are completely owned by the Council. This camp usually operates for four to five weeks during the summer. It includes both a high and a low COPE (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) course. The aquatics program includes the only Sailboat program for the Council camps as it features a large lake. During the first week of August this camp is the home of the new Family Scouting Experience where programs are offered for all family members. Programs include Wood Badge, Powder Horn, Cedar Badge (NYLT), another non-Scouting programs for family members.
Little Lemhi Scout Camp
This camp was founded in 1959. It is located east of the town of Irwin, Idaho, across the South Fork of the Snake River. The summer camp program normally runs six weeks, in June and July.
Treasure Mountain Scout Camp
This camp's first season was 1936. It features beautiful views of the Grand Teton, Table Rock, and Big Medicine Falls. The camp is located in the town of Alta, Wyoming. The traditional summer camp season is normally 5 weeks long in June and July. The highly acclaimed "Cedar Badge" Junior Leader Training, which later adopted the BSA National Youth Leadership Training as its curriculum in 2005, is offered during the last two weeks of June at this camp. It is filled with springs as well; the two biggest ones being Blue Bear and Morning Glory. Blue Bear is 10 ft (3.0 m) deep, Morning Glory is 40 ft (12 m) deep.
Salmon River High Adventure Base
In 1966, Teton Peaks Council started a whitewater kayaking program on the upper reaches of the Snake River. Within a few years, the program shifted to the Salmon River, operating out of the Spring Creek area. In 1986, the council acquired a permanent property for the base at Hale Gulch, approximately 13 miles downriver from North Fork, Idaho. This base, also known as SRHAB, is open in June and July, with 2.5 day sessions starting every Monday and Thursday. The primary program consists of rafting and whitewater kayaks. Secondary programs include low COPE, archery, climbing and rappelling, and frisbee gold. The base will celebrate two anniversaries in 2015, being the 30th anniversary of the current location and the 50th anniversary of the overall program.
Krupp Scout Hollow
This former 40-acre (160,000 m2) farm and orchard was acquired in the 1980s for the purpose of Cub Scout activities. It is the home of a Cub Scout Day Camp (although traveling Day Camps are also sponsored across the service area). It includes a large frontier fort, an original Union Pacific caboose, bb gun range, and archery range. It is located in the town of LaBelle, Idaho. Wood Badge adult leadership training courses are held here with courses held during the summer and early autumn.
This is the council's newest camp, serving the Cub Scouts with a day camp throughout the month of June. It is located west of Chubbuck, Idaho, off of I-86.
Order of the Arrow
Arrowmen in Grand Teton Council are covered by Shunkah Mahneetu Lodge 407. The name translates to "Gray Wolf," which is the lodge's totem. It was formed in 1994 from the mergere of Navando-Ikeu and Ha-Wo-Wo-He-Qua-Nah.
Inland Northwest Council
- David Thompson District, Sandpoint
- Lewis-Clark District, Moscow
- Old Missions, Coeur d'Alene
|Ore-Ida Council (#106)|
Snake River Council
|Snake River Council (#111)|
|Headquarters||Twin Falls, Idaho|
- Cassia District
- Falls District
- Minidoka District
- Northside District
- Wood River District
- Camp Bradley
- Camp Murtaugh
Order of the Arrow
- The Ma-I-Shu lodge (111) of the Order of the Arrow serves the council.
Trapper Trails Council
Trapper Trails Council serves Scouts in Utah and Idaho.
Girl Scouting in Idaho
|Girl Scouting in Idaho|
Map of Girl Scout Councils in Idaho
Girls in Idaho are served by two councils.
Girl Scouts Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho
|Girl Scouts Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho|
Girl Scouts Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho was formed on May 1, 2007, by the merger of Girl Scouts Mid – Columbia Council and Girl Scouts Inland Empire Council.
- Camp 4 Echos is 230 acres (0.93 km2) on Lake Coeur d'Alene
Girl Scouts of Silver Sage
|Girl Scouts of Silver Sage|
Silver Sage serves 6,300 girls in southern Idaho, eastern Oregon, and northern Nevada.
- Camp Alice Pittenger in McCall in Valley County, Idaho. It has 53 acres (210,000 m2) on the shores of Payette Lake. It is named for a long term Girl Scout volunteer and donor of the land, Alice Pittenger.
- Pine Creek Ranch in Shoup in Lemhi County, Idaho. It has 161 acres (0.65 km2).
- Camp Ta-Man-a-Wis in Swan Valley in Bonneville County, Idaho. It has 40 acres (160,000 m2).
- Camp Elkhorn is 12 acres (49,000 m2) in Baker in Baker County, Oregon.
- Friendship Square, a house in Boise, Idaho
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scouting in Idaho.|
- Hook, James; Franck, Dave; Austin, Steve (1982). An Aid to Collecting Selected Council Shoulder Patches with Valuation.
- Larson, Keith (2000). "Girl Scout Senior Roundups". Scouts on Stamps Society International. Retrieved September 8, 2006.