1959 News of the World Snooker Plus Tournament
|Dates||26 October–21 November 1959|
|Total prize fund||£750|
The 1959 News of the World Snooker Plus Tournament was a professional snooker tournament sponsored by the News of the World. The event was played under the Snooker Plus rules, a variant of snooker with two additional (orange and purple). The tournament was won by Joe Davis with Fred Davis finishing in second place. It was the eleventh and final News of the World Tournament, which ran from 1949/50 to 1959.
Snooker plus was a variant of snooker created by Joe Davis in 1959 with two additional , orange (8 points) and purple (10 points). The orange spot was midway between the pink and blue, while the purple spot was midway between the brown and blue. If a frame ended in a tie, the purple was re-spotted on the black spot. The extra colours allowed a maximum break of 210. This variant failed to gain popularity but has appeared in some video games such as the World Snooker Championship series.
There were three competitors, Joe Davis, Fred Davis and John Pulman, competing for prize money of £750. Matches were of 25 frames over 2 days. Each played the other, three times. All matches were played in Burroughes Hall, London.
Joe Davis made sure of victory by beating John Pulman in the penultimate match. Fred Davis lost the last match 13–12 but he had needed to win only 11 frames to finish in second place ahead of Pulman.
|Joe Davis||17–8||Fred Davis||26–27 October|||
|John Pulman||15–10||Fred Davis||28–29 October|||
|Joe Davis||14–11||John Pulman||30–31 October|||
|John Pulman||14–11||Fred Davis||9–10 November|||
|Joe Davis||15–10||John Pulman||11–12 November|||
|Fred Davis||15–10||Joe Davis||13–14 November|||
|Fred Davis||16–9||John Pulman||16–17 November|||
|Joe Davis||14–11||John Pulman||18–19 November|||
|Joe Davis||13–12||Fred Davis||20–21 November|||
The positions were determined firstly by the number of matches won (MW) and, in the event of a tie, the number of frames won (FW).
- "Definitions of terms used in Snooker and English Billiards (search for snooker plus)". snookergames.co.uk. Snooker Games. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 27 October 1959. p. 10.
- "J Davis launches Snooker Plus". The Times. 27 October 1959. p. 17.
- Word Snooker Championship 2005 (French) at jeuxvideo.com. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 20 November 1959. p. 6.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 23 November 1959. p. 10.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 28 October 1959. p. 11.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 30 October 1959. p. 10.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 2 November 1959. p. 10.
- "Snooker". The Times. 11 November 1959. p. 17.
- "Snooker Plus". The Times. 13 November 1959. p. 17.
- "Snooker Plus". The Times. 16 November 1959. p. 17.
- "Snooker Plus". The Glasgow Herald. 18 November 1959. p. 11.