Sony Movie Channel
|Sony Movie Channel|
|Launched||1 October 2010|
|Owned by||Sony Pictures Television|
|Slogan||All About Movies|
|Headquarters||Culver City, California, United States|
|Sister channel(s)||Game Show Network|
Cine Sony Television
|Dish Network (US)||Channel 386 (HD)|
|DirecTV (US)||Channel 568 (HD)|
|Altice USA (US)||356 (HD)|
|AT&T U-verse (US)||Channel 1793 (HD)|
Sony Movie Channel is an American pay television channel that was launched on 1 October 2010 . Owned by the Sony Pictures Television subsidiary of Sony Corporation, its programming consists of films from the Sony Pictures Entertainment library (including content from Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures and Sony Pictures Classics among others), alongside films from other distributors, mainly from Lionsgate, Shout! Factory and independent ones, which are broadcast unedited, and remastered in 1080i high definition. It is the only television channel in the United States run by Sony Corporation that is wholly owned by the company.
Program blocks and theme weeks
Sony Movie Channel is available nationally on DirecTV and Dish Network, and regionally on AT&T U-Verse, Suddenlink, Optimum. DirecTV and Dish Network also offer "Sony Movie Channel Everywhere", which allows viewers to watch its movies through its website for no additional cost. The channel is also available through streaming for owners of the Sony Network Media Player.
Sony Movie Channel is also available on Sony's PlayStation Vue platform included with the Elite and Ultra plans.
United Kingdom and Ireland
The channel was made available outside the US for the first time on Sky in the United Kingdom and Ireland on 3 May 2012 . While it is only available in standard-definition, it is accompanied by a one-hour timeshift channel. The channel formerly aired the Animax block every Monday night. As a free-to-air channel, supported by advertising, it is subject to standard UK broadcasting rules, which means that films shown between 5.30 am and 9 pm are often edited to make them suitable for pre-watershed slots. After 9 pm, the rules are more relaxed and films will generally not be censored.
On 10 January 2017, the channel replaced Movie Mix on the Freeview and Virgin Media platforms, becoming free-to-air for the first time. Movie Mix had been broadcasting an identical schedule in its final days prior to the transition.
- Sony Television Plans to Launch Two New U.S. Channels, Los Angeles Times, 5 July 2010
- Sony Movie Channel Dresses Up for Halloween with KILLER MANDAYS Press Release 26 September 2011
- Sony Movie Channel Announces Weeklong Salute to Bollywood (Exclusive) The Hollywood Reporter 8 September 2011
- Sony Movie Channel Launches on DISH Network, DIRECTV and AT&T U-verse TV, Press Release, 18 October 2010
- Sony Movie Channel Goes Online Multichannel News 5 October 2011
- "Sony planning UK film channel". Broadband TV News. 29 February 2012.
- "Sony Movie Channel – Almost here!". Sony Entertainment Television UK. 28 March 2012.