|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Forward sortation area|
|Area code(s)||905 and 289|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A recently constructed sub-division has expanded the hamlet from about 15 houses to more than 30. At one time it had a railroad station, as part of the Whitby, Port Perry, and Lindsay Railroad, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. The railroad closed in the 1940s and the general store was destroyed by fire in the 1950s. The railroad trackbed is still visible just west of the hamlet where it crossed the concession road, and the station, now gone, was located just north of the road.
The former Knox Presbyterian Church, built in 1893, is now a private residence, after closing in the 1980s.
The village park land is now surrounded by the new subdivision and was once home to the Sonya Sleigh Riders baseball team.
- Build date as marked in building's cornerstone
- Sonya at Geographical Names of Canada
|This Ontario location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|