This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
|Also known as||Soundwalk|
|Origin||New York City|
|Instruments||Electronics, Modular Synthesizers,|
Soundwalk Collective is an experimental sound collective founded by Stephan Crasneanscki in New York City (2000 – present), and joined by Simone Merli in 2008. Their work focusses on concept albums, sound installations and live performances, the collective currently operates in a continuous rotation of sound artists and musicians.
Soundwalk Collective have released numerous albums that combine field recordings, non-linear narrative, location based compositions, samples and rare instruments. Their discography features a wide range of collaborations; ‘Killer Road’ with Patti Smith and daughter Jesse Paris Smith. ‘What We Leave Behind | Jean-Luc Godard Archives’, features remixes from Ricardo Villalobos, Jan Jelinek and Petre Inspirescu. The first acclaimed project was the Hip-Hop soundwalk featuring Jazzy J & Africa Bambaataa which won the Audie award in 2004 for Best Original Work. In 2005, the Ground Zero sonic memorial Soundwalk won the Dalton Pen Award featuring Paul Auster, and in 2017 the Paris La Defense Soundwalk was narrated by Anna Mouglalis. The Soundwalk in Beijing with Gong Li commissioned by Louis Vuitton won the Audie award in 2009 for Best Original Work. More recently in 2015, the San Francisco Soundwalk was narrated by John Perry Barlow.
Other collaborations include Nan Goldin, Jean-Luc Nancy, Sasha Waltz, Philippe Starck, Esma Redžepova, Charlotte Rampling, Abel Ferrara, Jeanne Moreau, Catherine Deneuve, Mulatu Astatke, and Philip Glass. Soundwalk Collective have performed live at cultural institutions such as Berghain, Opéra de Lyon, Mucem, Centre Pompidou, Union Chapel[disambiguation needed], CTM Festival, La Triennale, MUDAM, Florence Gould Hall, Radialsystem, Funkhaus, Volksbuehne and Kraftwerk.
Soundwalk Collective have exhibited at the Bardo National Museum, KW Institute of Contemporary Art, Museo Madre, National Museum of Singapore, Palais de Tokyo, Palazzo Reale, Documenta14 and Manifesta12, the Rubin Museum of Art, Capo d’Arte, and other site specific installations such as ‘JUNGLE-IZED’ in New York City's Times Square for the Midnight Moment, for the Nuit blanche Bessarabia Ghost Tapes' was presented at the MAHJ in 2013. Soundwalk Collective are long time collaborators with France Culture Radio and Deutschlandradio, ‘Illuminations’ on Arthur Rimbaud’s days in Abyssinia won Gold at the NY Festival's International Radio Program Awards in 2018. What We Leave Behind featuring Jean-Luc Godard, won the Silver Prize at NY Festival's International Radio Program Awards 2016. Soundwalk Collective have composed original scores for contemporary dance choreographers such as Jonah Bokaer with Exile and Sasha Waltz more recently with Exodos presented in Bochum, Germany and Kreatur that premiered in NY at the BAM in 2018.
-  Mirage, Recordings from the Rub' Al Khali desert in a multi channel sound installation at the Louvre Abu Dhabi.
-  Ulysses Syndrome, Recordings from the Mediterranean Sea – A sound installation, part of the Official Program of Collateral Events in Manifesta 12.
-  Sasha Waltz & Guests: EΞΟΔΟΣ (Exodos) - a collaboration with contemporary dance choreographer Sasha Waltz and original score by Soundwalk Collective.
-  What We Leave Behind - a musical composition made up of unreleased sound from the film sets of Jean-Luc Godard, released by Vinyl Factory alongside an album of remixes featuring Ricardo Villalobos, Jan Jelinek & Petre Inspirescu.
- [2017 – 2018] Sasha Waltz & Guests: Kreatur - score by Soundwalk Collective with participation from Iris van Herpen and Urs Schönebaum.
-  Transmissions - 4 album box set released on Fantom Editions, presented at Documenta 14 in collaboration with Deutschlandradio Kultur.
-  JUNGLE-IZED (Recordings from the Amazon Rainforest)- a sound and visual installation in the heart of New York’s Times Square, part of the Midnight Moment digital art series.
- [2016 – 2017] Khandroma (Sacred Spaces: Himalayan Wind) - Solo exhibition at Rubin Meusem in New York.
-  Princes Among Men - film by Stephan Crasneanscki, original score by Soundwalk Collective. Produced by ARTE TV and premiered at the 2017 F.A.M.E festival at La Gaité Lyrique, Paris.
-  Memoir of Disintegration – Nan Goldin interpreting David Wojnarowicz's writings. Premiered at CTM festival.
-  Killer Road – a tribute album to Nico featuring Patti Smith, released on Sacred Bones and Bella Union.
-  Bessarabia Ghost Tapes – a sound installation installed at the museum MAHJ, premiered at La Nuit Blanche 2013.
-  Sacred Chants of the Guyto Monks Tantric Choir - a sound installation in the Centre Pompidou in Paris in collaboration with Mickey Hart.
-  Kill The Ego - a homage to New York in collaboration with Romon Kimin Yang, premiered at Centre Pompidou.
-  24-hour Starck Mix - 24 hour soundtrack, selected, arranged, composed and mixed by Soundwalk for Philippe Starck. Released by Wallpaper Magazine.
-  Chanel Mobile Art - Soundwalk featuring Jeanne Moreau commissioned by Chanel (2009) for the mobile art pavilion by Zaha Hadid.
-  Soundwalk Collective: The Peyote Dance featuring Patti Smith 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Death Must Die 
-  Soundwalk Collective: What We Leave behind – Jean-Luc Godard Archives 
-  Soundwalk Collective: What We Leave Behind – The Remixes 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Kreatur 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Transmissions 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Before Music There Is Blood 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Khandroma 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Killer Road,
-  Soundwalk Collective: Last beat 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Berghain: Surface Vibration & Resonances 
-  Soundwalk Collective: Medea
Awards and honors
- Gold Radio Winner of International Radio Program Award 2018.
- Silver Radio Winner of International Radio Program Award 2016.
- Official Selection at Qwartz Electronic Music Awards, Paris.
- "Soundwalk Collective". SoundCloud. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Soundwalk Collective – The Anniversary Series". Bbox Radio.
- "Times Square Arts: JUNGLE-IZED: A Conversation with Nature". Times Square. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Jungle ized by Soundwalk Collective". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "It's a jungle out there: interactive installation brings the Amazon to Times Square". The Art Newspaper. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "2004 Audie Awards® - APA". www.audiopub.org.
- "2005 Dalton Pen Award Winners". archive.li. 11 March 2005.
- "Les Extatiques Paris La Défense". www.ladefense.fr.
- "2009 Audie Awards® - APA". www.audiopub.org.
- Hinely, Juliet (15 March 2015). "Making Soundwalk Tenderloin with John Perry Barlow". Detour Blog.
- "Recherche". France Culture (in French).
- "Deutschlandfunk Kultur - HÃ¶rspiel Feature Suchergebnisse". HÃ¶rspiel und Feature (in German).
- "New York Festivals - 2017 World's Best Radio Programs™ Winners". www.newyorkfestivals.com.
- "International Radio Award der New York Festivals: Silver Radio Award - What we leave behind". Hörspiel und Feature (in German).
- Dhabi, Louvre Abu. "Soundwalk Collective: Mirage Live Performance - 7 February 2019". Evensi.
- "Soundwalk Collective. The Ulysses Syndrome - Manifesta 12 Palermo". Manifesta 12 Palermo. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- "Sasha Waltz Exodos" (in German). Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "Educate Your Ears: Soundwalk Collective | KALTBLUT Magazine". KALTBLUT Magazine. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Sasha Waltz' "Kreatur" - ZITTY". ZITTY (in German). 7 June 2017. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- Lim, Audrea (27 April 2016). "'Jungle-ized' Infuses Times Square With the Sounds of the Amazon". The Village Voice. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Brait, Ellen (31 March 2016). "Jungle-ized is massive: artwork brings the Amazon to the concrete jungle". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Soundwalk Collective Orchestrates Himalayan Wind at the Rubin Museum". Hyperallergic. 13 December 2016.
- "Gaîté Lyrique | Prince parmi les hommes". La Gaîté Lyrique (in French).
- "Concert Spécial : Soundwalk Collective "Close To The Knives: A Memoir Of Disintegration" featuring Nan Goldin: Nuits sonores". Nuits Sonores. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Patti Smith Recites Nico Poetry on "Killer Road"". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Patti Smith Performs Haunting, Unorthodox Nico Tribute". The Rolling Stones. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "PRX". beta.prx.org.
- "Paris-Delhi-Bombay..., Soundwalk - Vidéo dailymotion". Dailymotion. 7 June 2011.
- "Kill The Ego by Rostarr x Soundwalk Collective". Table.Video by Label Dalbin.
- Magazine, Wallpaper* (27 August 2009). "24 Hours: The Starck Mix". Wallpaper*.
- "Chanel Mobile Art", Architonic, 2009. Accessed May 28, 2010.
- "The Peyote Dance (feat. Patti Smith) by Soundwalk Collective".
- "Death Must Die, by Soundwalk Collective". Soundwalk Collective.
- "New York Festivals - 2016 World's Best Radio Programs:tm: Winners". New York Festivals Awards. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Jean-Luc Godard - Ursendung - What we leave behind". Deutschlandradio Kultur Radio (in German). Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Songs were nominated in the category Qwartz Experimentation" (in French). Qwartz Electronic Music Awards. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Homepage: http://soundwalkcollective.com/