South Derbyshire Miners' Association
|Date dissolved||6 December 1985|
|Merged into||Union of Democratic Mineworkers|
|Head union||Miners' Federation of Great Britain (1888–1944)|
National Union of Mineworkers (1945–1985)
|Office location||Weston Street, Swadlincote|
The union was founded in 1888, and was originally known as the South Derbyshire Amalgamated Miners' Association. By the following year, it had 2,140 members, although this fell to only 1,408 in 1898. Thereafter, it gradually rebuilt membership, which peaked at more than 6,000 in the 1920s.
In 1889, the union was a founder constituent of the Miners' Federation of Great Britain. In 1945, this became the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), and the union became its South Derbyshire Area, with less autonomy than before.
- 1888: William Buckley
- 1923: William Knight Smith
- 1928: Herbert Buck
- c.1950: Harry Wileman
- 1965: Ken Toon
- Page Arnot, Robin (1949). The Miners. Allen & Unwin.
- Smethurst, John B.; Carter, Peter (June 2009). Historical Directory of Trade Unions. 6. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing. pp. 504, 512. ISBN 9780754666837. LCCN 80-151653.
- "Miners' Conference at Newport". The Manchester Guardian. Proquest Historical Newspapers. 27 November 1889. Retrieved 6 April 2016.