South Ferry (IRT elevated station)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Former New York City Subway station|
The terminal in 1931
|Address||South Ferry Bus Loop|
New York, NY 10004
|Services||IRT Second Avenue Line|
IRT Third Avenue Line
IRT Sixth Avenue Line
IRT Ninth Avenue Line
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Opened||April 5, 1877|
|Closed||December 22, 1950|
|Next north||Hanover Square (Second & Third Ave.)|
Battery Place (Sixth & Ninth Ave.)
South Ferry was an elevated station at the southern terminal of the IRT Second, Third, Sixth and Ninth Avenue Lines. It was located next to Battery Park at the lower tip of Manhattan, New York City. Two tracks came from the combined Second and Third Avenue Lines, and two from the Sixth and Ninth Avenue Lines, making four tracks at the terminal, with platforms on the outside and between each pair of tracks (no platform in the center).
The station was right above access to various ferries at South Ferry, at both the Battery Maritime Building and the Whitehall Terminal. The next stop on the Second and Third Avenue Lines was Hanover Square. The next stop on the Sixth and Ninth Avenue Lines was Battery Place.
The first elevated station at South Ferry was opened April 5, 1877 by the New York Elevated Railroad. It had one island platform between two tracks and was operated as an extension of the company's Ninth Avenue Line. The tracks were later continued straight into the company's Third Avenue Line, which opened August 26, 1878. The four-track station, opened March 1879, was built to provide an adequate terminal for both lines. It was located on a very short branch line, at right angles to the old station, facing toward the ferry terminals. Later the Second and Sixth Avenue Lines also used the terminal. A fire at the station in 1919 damaged the Whitehall Street Terminal.:55
Ridership on the els began to decline as subway stations were replacing them. The Sixth Avenue Line was eliminated from the station in 1938, the Ninth Avenue Line was eliminated in 1940, the Second Avenue Line was eliminated in 1942, and the Third Avenue Line was eliminated in 1950, thus leading to the permanent closure of the station. The station would eventually be replaced by the South Ferry Subway station.
- "BATTERY ELEVATED TERMINAL BURNS; Hundreds of Passengers and Employes Barely Escape as Swift Flamas Sweep Station. EMPLOYES DROP TO STREET Women Crawl Along Roof with Fire Roaring Through Frame Shell Under Them. STARTS UNDER WOODEN CAR An Downtown Firemen and Fleet of Fireboats Kept Busy--Ferry House Damaged". The New York Times. July 3, 1919. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Staten Island Museum (2014). Staten Island Ferry. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 9781439647066.
Media related to South Ferry (IRT elevated station) at Wikimedia Commons