South State Bank
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SSB|
Russell 2000 Index component
|Founded||January 1, 1934as First National Bank|
|Headquarters||Columbia, South Carolina|
Number of locations
|Robert R. Horger, Chairman|
Robert R. Hill, Jr., CEO
John C. Pollok, CFO
|$0.178 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||$14.676 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||$2.366 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
South State Bank, based in Columbia, South Carolina, is the largest bank based in South Carolina and a subsidiary of South State Corporation, a bank holding company. As of December 31, 2018, the company had 168 branches, all of which are in South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia.
In 2002, the bank changed its name to South Carolina Bank and Trust and moved its headquarters to Columbia, South Carolina. First National Corporation remained the name of the bank holding company.
First National Corporation changed its name to SCBT Financial Corp. in 2004.
On November 30, 2007, the company acquired TSB Financial Corporation and its bank The Scottish Bank, giving it 4 branches in Charlotte, North Carolina and a loan production office in Cornelius, North Carolina.
In June 2014, the bank holding company was renamed South State Corporation and the bank was renamed South State Bank.
- "South State Corporation 2018 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Institution History for SOUTH STATE BANK (540926)". Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council.
- "SCBT-First Financial merger forms S.C.'s fifth-biggest bank". The Times and Democrat. February 21, 2013.
- "First National Corporation Announces Corporate Name Change to SCBT Financial Corporation and Resumption of Common Stock Repurchase Program" (Press release). Business Wire. February 20, 2004.
- "SCBT Financial Corporation Completes Acquisition of TSB Financial Corporation" (Press release). Business Wire. November 30, 2007.
- "SCBT Financial Corporation Completes Merger with First Financial Holdings, Inc" (Press release). Business Wire. July 26, 2013.
- "Holding Company Name and Ticker Symbol to Change for SCBT on June 30, 2014" (Press release). Business Wire. June 23, 2014.
- "South State Corporation Announces the Acquisition of 13 Branches" (Press release). Business Wire. April 22, 2015.
- "South State Corporation and Southeastern Bank Financial Corporation Complete Merger" (Press release). Business Wire. January 4, 2017.
- "South State Corporation and Park Sterling Corporation Complete Merger" (Press release). Business Wire. December 1, 2017.
- Official website
- Business data for South State Corporation: