Soyuz MS-02 during preflight checks
|Mission duration||173 days 3 hours 16 minutes 21 seconds|
|Distance travelled||118 million kilometers|
|Spacecraft type||Soyuz-MS 11F747|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||19 October 2016 08:05 UTC|
|Launch site||Baikonur 31/6|
|End of mission|
|Landing date||10 April 2017 11:20 UTC|
|Docking with ISS|
|Docking port||Poisk zenith|
|Docking date||21 October 2016 09:52 UTC|
|Undocking date||10 April 2017 07:57 UTC|
(l-r) Kimbrough, Ryzhikov and Borisenko
Soyuz MS-02 was a 2016 Soyuz spaceflight that was planned for a 23 September 2016 launch, but because of technical difficulties it launched on 19 October 2016. It transported three members of the Expedition 49 crew to orbit and docked with the International Space Station. MS-02 was the 131st flight of a Soyuz spacecraft. The crew consists of a Russian commander and flight engineer, as well as an American flight engineer. MS-02 docked with (Poisk (MRM-2) module on Friday, October 21, 2016.
MS-02 returned to Earth on Monday, April 10, 2017. During its descent, the capsule was partially depressurized when the main parachute deployed. The landing occurred at 11:20 UTC. The total flight duration was 173 days.
During the final stage of its descent, Soyuz MS-02 suffered a partial depressurization about eight kilometers above the ground. When the main parachute was deployed, a buckle that was part of the deployment system struck a welding seam, partially depressurizing the capsule. The depressurization did not put the crew in danger as they were at a relatively safe height within the atmosphere when it occurred. Russian officials believe that the way the parachute was packed caused the buckle to strike the capsule.
|Commander|| Sergey Nikolayevich Ryzhikov, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 1|| Andrei Borisenko, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 2|| Robert S. Kimbrough, NASA|
|Commander||Alexander Misurkin, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 1||Nikolai Tikhonov, RSA|
|Flight Engineer 2||Mark T. Vande Hei, NASA|
- "Afternoon Soyuz Touchdown Caps Half-Year Space Mission for Russian-American Crew Trio". Spaceflight101.com. April 10, 2017. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Soyuz spacecraft with 3-man crew blasts off to Intl Space Station". RT News. 19 October 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- Sarah Lewin (19 October 2016). "Liftoff! Soyuz Rocket Launches US-Russian Space Station Crew Into Orbit". Space.com. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Soyuz MS-02 spacecraft docks with Expedition 49/50 crew | NASASpaceFlight.com". www.nasaspaceflight.com. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Soyuz MS-02 spacecraft docks with Expedition 49/50 crew - NASASpaceFlight.com". www.nasaspaceflight.com.
- Garcia, Mark (2015-02-12). "Expedition 50". NASA. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Soyuz capsule suffered partial depressurization during April landing - SpaceNews.com". SpaceNews.com. 2017-10-17. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- Планируемые полёты (in Russian). astronaut.ru. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- astronaut.ru (2015). "Планируемые полёты" (in Russian).