Springbok Solar Farm
|Springbok Solar Farm|
|Location||Kern County, California|
|Status||Operational (Units 1 & 2)|
|Commission date||May 2016 (Unit 1)|
Sep. 2016 (Unit 2)
|Site area||1,400 acres (567 ha)|
|Nameplate capacity||328 MWp, 260 MWAC |
|Capacity factor||31.6% (average 2017)|
|Annual net output||717 GW·h, 500 MW·h/acre|
The Springbok Solar Farm is a 328 MWp (260 MWAC) photovoltaic power station in the northwestern Mojave Desert, near California City in eastern Kern County, California. The facility is being developed and constructed by 8minutenergy Renewables in three phases, with two completed as of 2016. At full build-out, it will be one of the world's largest PV solar farms with a capacity of about 440 MWp (350 MWAC).
The project is being developed by 8minutenergy, the largest independent solar power developer in the United States. When complete, the three Springbok solar facilities combined will generate enough clean, renewable energy to serve more than 152,000 households. The amount of greenhouse gas emissions avoided is comparable to removing nearly 150,000 cars from the road. The power from all three projects is contracted to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
The Springbok Solar Farm consists of 3 project units, or construction phases:
- Springbok 1 Solar Project — a 137 MWdc (105 MWAC) solar power station using photovoltaics. Construction on the 700 acres (280 ha) site began in 2015 and was completed in July 2016.
- Springbok 2 Solar Project — a 191 MWdc (155 MWAC) solar power station also using photovoltaics which was completed in September 2016 on an additional 700 acres.
- Springbok 3 Solar Project — a proposed 115 MWdc (90 MWAC) solar power station using photovoltaics to be completed by the end of 2019.
Springbok Solar 1 nameplate capacities: 137 MWdc, 105 MWac
annual net output: 299 GW·h (avg 2017)
capacity factor: 32.5%
|Average Annual Production (years 2017)||299,000|
Springbok Solar 2 nameplate capacities: 191 MWdc, 155 MWac
annual net output: 418 GW·h (avg 2017)
capacity factor: 30.8%
|Average Annual Production (years 2017)||418,000|
- Beacon Solar Project
- Solar power plants in the Mojave Desert
- Solar power in California
- Solar power in the Mojave Desert — topics
- 8minutenergy.com: "Springbok 1 Solar Project breaks ground"
- 8minutenergy.com: "Power purchase agreement to develop Springbok 2 Solar Project"
- "8minutenergy Receives Power Purchase Agreement to Develop 90 MW-ac Springbok 3 Solar Farm" (Press release). 8minutenergy. February 1, 2017.
- 8minutenergy.com: Solar Projects website
- Table 6.3. New Utility Scale Generating Units by Operating Company, Plant, and Month, 2016, Electric Power Monthly, U.S. Energy Information Administration, October 25, 2016
- Over 3.4 GW of large solar parks go live across US, SeeNews Renewables, Tsvetomira Tsanova, November 3, 2016
- Table 6.5. Planned U.S. Electric Generating Unit Additions, October 2016, Electric Power Monthly, U.S. Energy Information Administration, October 25, 2016
- "Springbok Solar 1, Monthly". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Springbok Solar 2, Monthly". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved January 31, 2019.