St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs railway station
|St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs|
The former entrance to the station on North Pole Road
|Local authority||Hammersmith & Fulham|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Original company||West London Railway|
|Pre-grouping||West London Railway|
|Post-grouping||West London Railway|
|1 August 1871||Opened as Wormwood Scrubs|
|1 August 1892||Renamed St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs|
|1 November 1893||Resited|
|3 October 1940||Closed|
|London transport portal|
St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs was a railway station on the West London Railway in Kensal Green north-west London. It was situated on an embankment next to North Pole Road, close to the road's junction with Wood Lane, and near Wormwood Scrubs, in what is now the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
The station was located on two different sites during its history. The original station building and platforms, constructed mostly of wood, opened on 1 August 1871 with the name Wormwood Scrubs, alternatively spelt Wormwood Scrubbs, but closed on 1 November 1893 and the station was resited 100 yards (91 m) further north, to the north side of North Pole Road. It had been renamed St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs on 1 August 1892 and retained the full name and remained operational until 3 October 1940 when it was destroyed by fire during the Blitz of World War II. The second station, also of wooden construction, burned away and its remains demolished.
Most electric trains on the present-day West London Line stop near the site of the former station to change current collection method, as the line to the north is electrified by AC overhead lines and to the south by DC third rail. In 2009 local authority leaders lobbied the government to build a new station a short distance to the north of the disused one, however, such plans have not materialised.
- "St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs 1st Site". Disused Stations. Subterranea Britannica. Retrieved 28 June 2013. (site record of the 1871 station)
- "St. Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs 2nd Site". Disused Stations. Subterranea Britannica. Retrieved 28 June 2013. (site record of the 1893 station)
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Uxbridge Road||West London Railway||Willesden Junction|