St Thomas the Martyr, Bristol
|St Thomas the Martyr|
|Town or city||Bristol|
It has a 14th-century tower, but the nave was rebuilt 1791–93 by James Allen. A substantial reordering was carried out by William Venn Gough between 1878 and 1880, and the top of the tower was remodeled with spirelet, pinnacles, and pierced parapet by Gough in 1896–97.
Although the church survived the "Bristol Blitz" of the Second World War, the congregation declined after the war and the church was finally declared redundant. It is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, having been vested in the Trust on 17 February 1988.
Parish records for St Thomas the Martyr church, Bristol are held at Bristol Archives (Ref. P. St T) (online catalogue) including baptism, marriage and burial registers. The archive also includes records of the incumbent, churchwardens, overseer of the poor, parochial church council, charities, societies, waywarden and vestry plus deeds, plans and photographs.
- Churches in Bristol
- Grade II* listed buildings in Bristol
- List of churches preserved by the Churches Conservation Trust in South West England
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Thomas the Martyr, Bristol.|
- Historic England, "Church of St Thomas including wall, gates and gateway, Bristol (1202562)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 11 April 2015
- Foyle, Andrew (2004), Bristol, Pevsner Architectural Guides, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, pp. 110–111, ISBN 0-300-10442-1
- "Fritz von Kamptz". Manx National Heritage. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Church of St Thomas the Martyr, Bristol, Bristol, Churches Conservation Trust, retrieved 30 November 2016
- Diocese of Bristol: All Schemes (PDF), Church Commissioners/Statistics, Church of England, 2011, p. 3, retrieved 2 April 2011
- Boeringer, James (1983), Organa Britannica, Associated University Presses, p. 337, ISBN 0-8387-1894-9
- Romanian Orthodox Church at St Thomas the Martyr