Star Wars Hotel
|Star Wars hotel|
|Location||Epcot Resort Area|
|Resort type||Deluxe resort|
A Star Wars-themed luxury hotel is currently being built near Disney's Hollywood Studios, in the Epcot Resort Area of the Walt Disney World Resort in Bay Lake, Florida. The hotel accompanies the under-construction Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge themed area in Disney's Hollywood Studios.
In April 2017, Disney contracted the website swagbucks.com to survey visitors in order to gauge interest in a possible Star Wars-themed hotel. As a result of the survey, Disney decided to approve such a hotel, with a visitor experience based on the Star Wars storyline.
Definite plans for the Star Wars hotel were first announced at the 2017 D23 Expo in Anaheim, California. The proposal was announced as part of the unveiling of 23 improvements and additions to Disney parks around the world.
The Star Wars hotel has no set opening date according to the Orlando Sentinel. According to renderings, the new hotel would be shaped like a Star Wars starship. The rooms would have children's bunk beds and adult-sized beds in the style of Star Wars bunkers, with each room fitting up to four people. Renderings also showed a lobby in the style of a Star Wars spaceship interior.
Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, stated that the Star Wars hotel would be Disney's "most experiential concept ever" when it opens. Chapek described the hotel as a "100% immersive" experience that "will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits.” Some examples of the planned features included creatures and droids acting as certain hotel staff such as butlers; guests wearing Star Wars costumes; and an ability to interact with features of the hotel as if visitors were really in the Star Wars universe. Visitors would also be able to have lightsaber training and duels (an extension of the Jedi Training Academy in Disney's Hollywood Studios); explore and pilot Star Wars spacecraft; and go on "secret missions" personalized toward the visitors' experience.
One writer for The Verge called the planned hotel a "Westworld for Star Wars fans," noting the different hotel amenities that would allow the immersive-hotel experience to occur. Mic compared the planned hotel to Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and Universal Orlando’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort, both of which are existing hotels containing immersive experiences, though to a lesser extent.
On May 30, 2018, it was announced that the hotel would be located just south of Disney's Hollywood Studios, to the east of World Drive. That July, it was revealed that the hotel's direct entrance to Disney's Hollywood Studios would be located between the Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance attractions in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. There would be a limited amount of parking in the hotel, although valet parking would be available. Guests entering the park by foot would have to cross over a drainage ditch on the park's southern border. There would also be a driveway connecting to the parking lot of Disney's Hollywood Studios.
In addition to walking, guests at the hotel would also be able to travel directly to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge by a shuttle-pod transportation system. This system would be made to resemble a shuttle spacecraft that would ferry guests between the hotel and the land while maintaining the illusion of traveling from space to the planet's surface and back.
- Fashingbauer Cooper, Gael (July 16, 2017). "Disney's Star Wars land named Galaxy's Edge, includes resort". CNET. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- "Disney's Star Wars Hotel: Sleep In A Starship, Live In The Story". Slashfilm. April 18, 2017. Archived from the original on April 19, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Holmes, Jamie (April 18, 2017). "Star Wars: Disney fans asked about a new theme hotel". WFTV. Archived from the original on April 30, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Kumparak, Greg (July 15, 2017). "Disney is opening an immersive Star Wars Hotel where each guest gets a storyline". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017.
- Levine, Arthur (July 18, 2017). "Disney announces 23 wild new developments for its theme parks". USA TODAY. Archived from the original on July 19, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Bevil, Dewayne (July 15, 2017). "Coming to Disney World: Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy ride, 'Star Wars' hotel". OrlandoSentinel.com. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- Mulvihill, Tom (July 17, 2017). "The world's first official Star Wars-themed hotel to open at Walt Disney World Orlando". The Telegraph. Archived from the original on July 17, 2017. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- Strachan, Maxwell (July 19, 2017). "Wait, This 'Immersive' 'Star Wars'-Themed Hotel Looks Awesome". Huffington Post. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Fickley-Baker, Jennifer (July 15, 2017). "Plans Unveiled for Star Wars-Inspired Themed Resort at Walt Disney World". Disney Parks Blog. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- Bishop, Bryan (July 16, 2017). "Disney wants to build a Westworld for Star Wars fans". The Verge. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- Marino, Valerie (August 1, 2017). "The 'Star Wars' hotel isn't just for fans. It might be the future of immersive travel". Mic. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- Fickley-Baker, Jennifer (May 30, 2018). "Update on the Star Wars Immersive Resort Planned for Walt Disney World Resort". Disney Parks Blog.
- Russon, Gabrielle (July 5, 2018). "Disney: New details on Star Wars hotel access". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- "New Details Reveal the 'Star Wars' Hotel at Walt Disney World Will Have Special Access". Travel + Leisure. July 6, 2018. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- Gallagher, Brian (November 17, 2018). "New Star Wars Disney Hotel Concept Art Reveals Shuttle Pod Entrance". ScreenRant. Retrieved December 10, 2018.