Steve Barnett (politician)
|Secretary of State of South Dakota|
|Assumed office |
January 5, 2019
|Preceded by||Shantel Krebs|
|Auditor of South Dakota|
January 8, 2011 – January 5, 2019
|Preceded by||Rich Sattgast|
|Succeeded by||Rich Sattgast|
|Born||Aberdeen, South Dakota, U.S.|
|Education||University of South Dakota (BA)|
University of Sioux Falls (MBA)
Barnett graduated from Roncalli High School in Aberdeen, South Dakota, from where he is a native. He is the grandson of Joseph H. Barnett, who served as Speaker of the South Dakota House of Representatives in 1975 and 1976.
Barnett graduated with a bachelor's degree from the University of South Dakota and with a master's degree from the University of Sioux Falls. He served as a Constituent Services Representative for Senator John Thune from 2005 until 2010.
Barnett was first elected auditor in 2010, defeating Democratic state senator Julie Bartling with 61% of the vote. He was reelected in 2014, defeating Libertarian Kurt Evans with 80% of the vote.
Barnett was elected Secretary of State of South Dakota in 2018.
Barnett and his wife, Nicole, have 3 children: Emma, Henry, and William.
- "State Auditor". South Dakota Republican Party. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- Legislator Historical Listing. South Dakota Legislative Research Council.
- "Steve Barnett's Biography". Project VoteSmart. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "South Dakota Election 2010". The New York Times. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Election Results: Statewide Races". South Dakota Secretary of State. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
| Auditor of South Dakota
| Secretary of State of South Dakota