Still the Same (Sugarland song)
|"Still the Same"|
|Single by Sugarland|
|from the album Bigger|
|Released||December 21, 2017|
|Sugarland singles chronology|
"Still the Same" is a song written and recorded by American country music duo Sugarland. It was released December 21, 2017 through Big Machine Records, serving as the group's first single in six years since and the lead single for their forthcoming sixth studio album, Bigger (2018). "Still the Same" is the group's first new release since their self-imposed hiatus announced in 2012. The song officially impacted American country radio on January 8, 2018; this release was promoted in collaboration between Big Machine and the Universal Music Group Nashville, which houses the group's former label, Mercury Nashville.
Written by duo members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush, "Still the Same" combines elements of country music and rock music. Acoustic guitars accompany the song's verses, while modern production elements including electronic hand claps are present throughout. The staff of country music blog Taste of Country wrote that "Still the Same" includes "the same blend of sharp songwriting and modern production" that characterized Sugarland's previous discography. Described as a "comeback single," the song's lyrics address the duo's time apart while insisting their chemistry remains intact. The lyrical details are universal enough to double as a love song. "Still the Same" was the first song written for the album after the pair reunited in 2017. Nettles and Bush also co-produced the track with Julian Raymond.
"Still the Same" debuted and peaked at number 26 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart dated January 3, 2018. This marked the group's highest debut on the chart (surpassing their previous best entrance at number 27 with "All I Want to Do") and first entry on the chart since November 2011. The song debuted at number 42 on the Hot Country Songs chart dated January 3, 2018. It reached its peak position of 35 on the subsequent chart dated January 6, 2018.
An accompanying music video, directed by Seth Hellman and Nicole Flemmia, premiered December 21, 2017. It explores the group's history with a montage of performances, behind-the-scenes clips, and tour footage.
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||26|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||35|
|Worldwide||December 21, 2017||Digital download||Big Machine|||
|United States||January 8, 2018||Country radio||
- George, Rachel (December 21, 2017). "Sugarland Reunites for 'Still the Same' Single: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Future Releases for Country Radio Stations". All Access Media Group. Archived from the original on January 8, 2018. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Freeman, Jon (December 21, 2017). "Hear Sugarland's Rousing New Song 'Still the Same'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Taste of Country Staff (December 21, 2017). "Sound Off: Is Sugarland's 'Still the Same' a Hit? [Listen]". Taste of Country. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Stecker, Liv (March 30, 2018). "Everything We Know About Sugarland's Upcoming Album, 'Bigger'". The Boot. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Casey, Jim (April 2, 2018). "Sugarland Announces Release of Upcoming Sixth Studio Album, "Bigger"". Nash Country Daily. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Asker, Jim (December 27, 2017). "Sugarland Is 'Still the Same' After Six-Year Break From Country Charts". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Sugarland Still The Same Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Still The Same - Sugarland - Vevo". Vevo. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Sugarland Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Sugarland Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Still the Same - Sugarland | Release Info". AllMusic. Retrieved May 9, 2018.