|Launched||September 7, 2001|
|Owned by||Stingray Digital|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Formerly called||MuchVibe (2001-2016)|
|Sister channel(s)||Stingray Loud|
|Bell TV||Channel 579 (SD)|
Channel 894 (SD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 587 (SD)|
|Available on most cable systems||Channel slots vary on each provider|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 485 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 579 (SD)|
Channel 1579 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 311 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 580 (SD)|
Channel 9580 (HD)
|Telus Quebec||Channel 354 (SD)|
Channel 883 (HD)
In November 2000, CHUM Limited was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a channel named MuchVibe, described as "a national English-language Category 2 music video specialty television service dedicated to Urban music (HipHop, Rap, R&B, Soul and Reggae) and Urban music-related programming."
The channel launched on September 7, 2001 MuchVibe, fashioned after the former MuchMusic original program of the same name. The channel aired primarily music videos with a small selection of other programming including concerts and interviews. Select programs from MuchMusic were aired on a more frequent and longer basis on MuchVibe, including the rap/hip-hop programs Rap City and The DownLo, and the network's eponymous R&B block Vibe.
In July 2006, Bell Globemedia (later called CTVglobemedia) announced that it would purchase CHUM for an estimated $1.7 billion CAD; included in the sale was MuchVibe. The sale was subject to CRTC approval and was approved in June 2007, with the transaction completed on June 22, 2007.
While the channel, from its inception, had always been an ad-supported service, on August 31, 2009, commercial advertising was dropped from the music video portion of the channel's schedule. The only remaining commercials existed in programs such as concerts or other special programming.
On September 10, 2010, BCE (a minority shareholder in CTVglobemedia) announced that it planned to acquire 100% interest in CTVglobemedia for a total debt and equity transaction cost of $3.2 billion CAD. The deal was approved by the CRTC on March 7, 2011 and closed on April 1 of that year, when CTVglobemedia was rebranded Bell Media.
On June 21, 2016, it was announced that Stingray Digital would acquire MuchVibe, MuchLoud, MuchRetro, and Juicebox from Bell Media, at a price-tag later revealed to be $4 million for all 4 channels. The deal for MuchVibe would later close in August 2016 with MuchVibe being rebranded Stingray Vibe on August 12, 2016. On June 1, 2017, Stingray announced the completion of the rebranding process for all 4 channels, which included new programming and a national promotional campaign. With the rebrand, all non-music video programming was removed from the channel.
- Club Bangerz
- Daily Video Mix
- Go With the Flow
- Old School Weekend
- Rap @ 11
- Stingray Vibe Top 15
Former Programming (as MuchVibe)
- The DownLo
- Vibe 2 Vibe
- Decision CRTC 2000-519 CRTC 2000-12-14
- The history of CHUM Globe and Mail article 2006-06-12
- Bell Globemedia acquires CHUM; Fasken Martineau; 2006-07-12
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-165; CRTC; 2007-06-08
- More Music Videos as MuchVibe, MuchLOUD, MuchMoreRetro, and PunchMuch go commercial-free Channel Canada 2009-08-26
- Bell Canada (2010-09-10). "Bell to acquire 100% of Canada's No.1 media company CTV". CNW Group. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- CRTC approves BCE's purchase of CTVglobemedia
- Bell completes acquisition of CTV, launches Bell Media business unit CNW 2011-04-01
- STINGRAY GROWS ITS CHANNEL PORTFOLIO WITH THE ACQUISITION OF FOUR (4) BELL MEDIA MUSIC VIDEO CHANNELS Stingray Press Release 2016-06-21
- Stingray Digital looks to bolster profits through international expansion, Globe and Mail, 08-03-16
- Stingray Announces Closing of Its Acquisition of Three (3) Bell Media Specialty Television Channels, Market Wired press release, 08-15-16
- Stingray Introduces a New Golden Age of Music TV with the Launch of Stingray Retro, Stingray Vibe, Stingray Loud, and Stingray Juicebox MarketWired press release 06 01 17