Stonehouse (Bristol Road) railway station
|Stonehouse (Bristol Road)|
The site of Stonehouse (Bristol Road) station as viewed from the north. The surviving Station Master's house can be seen in the distance.
|Original company||Bristol and Gloucester Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|8 July 1844||Opened as Stonehouse|
|17 September 1951||Renamed Stonehouse (Bristol Road)|
|4 January 1965||Closed to Passengers|
|3 January 1966||Closed to Goods|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|Stonehouse & |
Bristol and Gloucester Railway
The station was called, first and unofficially, Eastington Road and then, officially, Bristol Road to distinguish it from a second station, Stonehouse (Burdett Road), which was on the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway, now the Golden Valley Line, between Gloucester and Swindon.
Bristol Road station was the junction for the Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway's branch line to Nailsworth, which later had a small branch line of its own to Stroud. Unusually, the junction was to the north of Stonehouse (Bristol Road) station, and the branch line platform was a separate affair to the east of the main line station and connected by a covered pathway. The Nailsworth/Stroud branch lost its passenger services in 1947 as an economy measure, with official closure in 1949, though goods services remained until 1966.
Services to and from the Bristol Road station on the main line closed to passengers under the Beeching Axe in 1965 and to goods traffic the following year. The redundant goods yard became the Stonehouse Coal Concentration Depot from 7 October 1966. It closed in 1989.
In July 2017, plans to reopen the station had been proposed which would provide a fast link to Bristol.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Bristol and Gloucester Railway
|Terminus||Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway
Line and station closed
- Mike Oakley, Gloucestershire Railway Stations, 2003, Dovecote Press, Wimborne, ISBN 1-904349-24-2, pp41–42
|This article about a railway station in South West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Gloucestershire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|