Strand Road, Kolkata
The Strand Road in mid 19th century
|Maintained by||Kolkata Municipal Corporation|
|South end||Prinsep Ghat|
|Known for||Runs along the east bank of the Hooghly|
Strand Road, also referred to as The Strand, is a major thoroughfare in downtown Kolkata, India. Running along the east bank of the Hooghly River, the road connects Prinsep Ghat to Nimtala Crematorium and the Shobhabazar neighbourhood.
Strand Road was completed in 1828:167, undertaken by the Lottery Committee, along what was previously a long sedgy bank. According to the historian H.E.A. Cotton, the road ran from Prinsep Ghat to Hatkhola Ghat. The area around Prinsep Ghat had a large portion of riverbank reclaimed and thrown into the roadway.:321
Erected in 1838, Baboo Ghat is a significant monument in Doric Greek style on Strand Road. It was commissioned by Baboo Raj Chundrer Das, husband of Rani Rashmoni, founder of Dakshineswar Kali Temple.:322 Immediately west of the High Court is Chandpal Ghat, named after Chunder Nath Pal, who owned a shop at the site for the ‘refreshment of pedestrians and boatmen’. The ghat dates from at least 1774 (predating Strand Road itself) and eventually became the point at which the colonial rulers and administrators of India would arrive and leave the city prior to the advent of rail travel.:323
- https://www.kolkataonwheels.com/kolkata-crematoriums-get-a-makeover Retrieved 19 January 2019
- Cotton, H. E. A. (1907). Calcutta, Old and New. W. Newman & Co.
- The Largest Cricket Grounds in the World Retrieved 20 January 2019
|This Indian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|