Stroud Green railway station
Bridge and station master's house (2015)
|Owner||Great Northern Railway|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London transport portal|
Stroud Green railway station is a former station in the Stroud Green area of north London. It was located between Finsbury Park station and Crouch End station on a bridge over Stapleton Hall Road. The station had platforms (now demolished) cantilevered from the bridge structure and a wooden station building (also now demolished) at ground level under and on either side of the bridge, with a station master's house to the north of it. The bridge still exists, and now carries the Parkland Walk cycle and pedestrian path, whilst the station master's house serves as a community centre.
The Gospel Oak to Barking line of Network Rail passes under both Stapleton Hall Road and the Stroud Green station site in a tunnel, between Crouch Hill and Harringay Green Lanes stations, and can be seen from the former platforms of Stroud Green station. The station site is within the area of the London Borough of Haringey, close to that borough's boundary with that of Islington.
The station was built by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) and opened on the railway's existing Edgware, Highgate and London Line on 11 April 1881. The line ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate with branches to Alexandra Palace and High Barnet. After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies, the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER).
Works to modernise the track began in the late 1930s and were well advanced when they were interrupted and halted by the Second World War. Works were completed from Highgate to High Barnet and Mill Hill East and that section was incorporated into the Northern line between 1939 and 1941. Further works on the section between Finsbury Park, Highgate and Alexandra Palace were postponed and the line continued under the operation of the LNER. Because of wartime economies services were reduced to rush hours only, so that after the war the dwindling passenger numbers and a shortage of funds lead to the cancellation of the unfinished works in 1950 and passenger services to Stroud Green station were ended by British Railways on 3 July 1954 along with the rest of the line between Finsbury Park and Alexandra Palace.
The line continued to be used for goods into the 1960s and by London Underground for train stock movements until 6 October 1970 when it was completely closed. The station buildings were gutted by a fire on 3 February 1967, and were demolished shortly thereafter. The track was lifted in 1972, and the track bed between Muswell Hill and Finsbury Park reused as the Parkland Walk, which opened in 1984. The station master's house, located next to the now demolished station building, was converted for community use.
- "Stroud Green Station". Disused Stations. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Parkland Walk". London Borough of Islington. Archived from the original on 12 February 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Explorer 173 - London North, The City, West End, Enfield, Ealing, Harrow & Watford (Map). Ordnance Survey. 13 March 2006. ISBN 978-0319463178.
- "Clive's Underground Line Guides - Northern Line". Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- Media related to Stroud Green railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Disused Stations: Stroud Green
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
|British Railways (Eastern Region)
Edgware, Highgate and London Railway
Line closed, station open
|Abandoned Northern Heights Extension|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|