|County||Västra Götaland County|
|• Total||2,351.35 km2 (907.86 sq mi)|
|• Land||917.24 km2 (354.15 sq mi)|
|• Water||1,434.11 km2 (553.71 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2018)
|• Density||5.5/km2 (14/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was formed in 1971 through the amalgamation of three former units. Before the subdivision reform of 1952 there were seven entities in the area.
Most carvings show men and ships. Several show animals such as oxen and horses.
Tanum Municipality has made its rock carving the subject of its coat of arms.
Tanum is one of the first municipalities to require urine-separation toilets to help combat the looming global shortage of phosphorus. Urine is the most concentrated source of phosphorus according to Associate Professor Cynthia Mitchell, of the Institute for Sustainable Futures at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS).
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2018" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- Jöran Sahlgren; Gösta Bergman (1979). Svenska ortnamn med uttalsuppgifter (in Swedish). p. 24.
- Tanum Municipality - Official site
- Tanums Hällristningsmuseum Underslös - Underslös Museum and Rock Art Research Centre